AirportR – luggage collection service (available in LHR/LGW/ZRH/GVA/VIE) review

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

Airportr – luggage collection service

MrsExPat and I and were flying with LX (Y) from ZRH to NCE with 2 large bags plus hand luggage. A week before the flight Swiss sent an email asking if I would like to try the AIRPORTR baggage collection service for free.

I made the booking online. A person arrives with a Van the day before your flight, scans your boarding passes and passport/Docs, takes a picture of each bag and the next you see of them is on collection at your destination. There are 3 time windows that are offered. These increase in price the narrower your chosen window is. I chose the 1 hour window but 3 hours and 6 hours are available. One person on the booking must be present at bag handover. Also yo umust be checked in so collection is limited to 24 hours before your flight.

Everything worked fine with the driver arriving during mu chosen 1 hour time window and was gone in 2-3 minutes. I then received a sms message when the bags were loaded into the airport system. Then the Swiss system took over and alerted me when the bags were loaded on to the aircraft.

The system worked flawlessly, and it certainly made the train journey to ZRH quite a bit easier with only hand luggage and no need to visit a check in desk.

The service I had on a free trial would have cost Euro 75 for the 1 hour window but the 3 and 6 hour window would have been Euro 56 and Euro 54 respectively. Paying myself (and I believe I will use this again), I’d likely go for the 3 hour window.
    Looking at the booking/pricing system, it seems that 1 bag costs the same as 2 and each extra is approx. Euro20. This is based on a travel radius to ZRH of (I am guessing 75km). A collection in Geneva for Zurich departure is more like Euro 110.

Two bags collection in Twickenham for a LHR departure is from GBP 28.

Airports currently serviced by Airportr are LHR/LGW/ZRH/VIE

I expect I will use this service again.

6 users thanked author for this post.

superchris
    Participant

Interesting. Thanks for the report.

Quick clarification though, do the prices quoted include the airline baggage fees or is it assumed that you have addressed this separately? Either through free baggage allowance or paid for?

I have looked at similar excess baggage type companies for leisure trips but Ive never been able to make it work / and or have the confidence my bags would be there.

I always get the impression that AirportR are more for high density business destinations.

I love the principle though and like you would be happy to pay to take the hassle, worry and effort away.

SwissExPat
    Participant

The fees I quoted are simply for the collection and check through service.

You need to ensure that you are entitled to check these bags in as part of your Airline ticket.

My ticket already included 1 bag per person.

Mathias_K
    Participant

Thanks for your report. I had contemplated this service before but thought that for the money they charge, I might as well get a taxi. I do like the idea but not the current pricing from Airportr (£32/£36 for one/two bags vs £46 for Uber).

SenatorGold
    Participant

I used AirPortR last year. My BA flight from LHR to Santiago was leaving at 22.00hrs. AirportR arrived punctually at 08.00hrs on the day of departure to collect my two bags. It allowed me to spend a full day day in the office before heading out to LHR with my hand luggage using a combination of the Underground and the Heathrow Express. In similar circumstances, I’d use them again for sure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls