Airport shops -Bizarre or Bazaar – Your thoughts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

I think the impact of this will vary in different places.

At Changi there is a lot of space to move around that is not occupied by retail so a bit more won’t have a huge impact and unlike many places you won’t have to negotiate them to reach the lounge.

Other places are quite awful. I was at NCL about a month ago for the first time in a long time and the departures area forces you through an array of shops that have all the charm of a nasty market place that has had a cheap facelift. The remainder of the air side area is tacky and full of unhealthy food outlets which were full of the local population heading off on their holidays.

Fortunately the Aspire lounge was pleasant enough while waiting for KL to AMS.

ABBA – nice to see others on board with the sentiment.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I am with Canuck’s general rant, Faro flyer’s tactics – and I am sure that Poshgirl58 and icenspice never smell of fly spray but just have the perfect choice in perfume.

I have three particular hates at the moment:

1. Being forcced to walk past stinking perfume displays. Can give me asthma, and they are almost always vile low-quality stuff.
    2. Airports that don’t have the odd shop you might need – for example, any large airport should have a pharmacy, air-side
    3. Shops with misleading names – a particular bête noir being a subsidiary of W H Smith called “London News” that does not sell newspapers. The main W H Smith is always a pain, with immense qualtities of ghastly muck to fight past to get a newspaper.

icenspice
    Participant

Oh David, don’t get me wrong. I love that peculiar masculine whiff that men emit, but there is no harm in a couple of mini sprays of Acqua di Parma on the pulse points. I guarantee it will not give you an asthma attack.

icenspice
    Participant

I agree, David. All major airports should have an airside pharmacy that accepts prescriptions signed by a doctor in your home country.

icenspice
    Participant

And more barber shops instead of Harrods, Prada, Louis Vuitton and suchlike. Please

esselle
    Participant

Good Grief

Prescriptions signed by a doctor in your home country……………have you never heard of insurance? And under what circumstances would you need to fulfill a prescription when you are airside in a foreign airport? If you were overseas and needed medical assistance, why would you expect to be able to access it when you got into the RZ?

icenspice
    Participant

Eh?

I am not talking about a case of DVT.

I am talking about daily, essential medication which, for one reason or another, you have run out of while travelling and for which you are willing to pay the full price without putting in an insurance claim.

stevescoots
    Participant

I ignore them, but do find it annoying I have to backtrack on myself to get to the gates/lounge

MarcusGB
    Participant

Perhaps the travellers from different countries outside the EU will shop, but most of us from within the EU will, and do not.
    There is a prime example at LCY, where they have crammed in to passenger space, so many shops you have to stand and can hardly walk around or stand anymore let alone sit.
    This is cash cow greed, and frankly if us travellers have nothing better to do than spend money at “labelled” stores, then perhaps you should question your materialism, and donate something to Charity instead of gorging on status building named goods.

If i leave a country, i like to purchase gifts that reflect that culture, local artisan items, support the local art, culture and share my travel experience with others through these gifts.
    I will not buy an article for several hundred £’s, manufactured in poor conditions treating their employees poorly, with massive mark ups, i can get anywhere in The World in any city. They are nothing but overpriced, and for the status needy, who don’t feel complete without trying to show off, and frankly i think they are tacky items.
    Try individualism for a change rather than having to wear something with letters on it, to feel good about yourself.
    If you need a label to become something, then you really have no talent in life!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=756224]2. Airports that don’t have the odd shop you might need – for example, any large airport should have a pharmacy, air-side

[/quote]

I agree, and JNB does have one. I find it very useful especially if you need a vacination as I did for Yellow Fever a few years back in order to get back into South Africa.

Zurich and Geneva both used to have airside pharmacy’s but can’t recall if it’s still the case.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

MrMichael
    Participant

Not that I have seen LP, mind you, if crunchy coconut Toblerone proves to be a hit in Geneva I suspect my local Morrisons will be stocking it in time for Xmas 🙂

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi IcenSpice,
    I have perfected the look on our cat’s face when she knocks over an ornament. She walks away looking totally innocent and confused. Was that Moi?

MarcusGB
    Participant

None of us should be surprised about the complexity or need for a pharmacy at an airport!
    Many different regulations exist the the carrying of even over the counter medications bought from the UK.
    over 340 are illegal without a carried prescription and Dr’s letter even in transit through the Emirates for eg!

(This was a long forum topic some time ago re medical assistance in the air…)

So you do need to carry for any prescribed drug, a Dr’s letter and copy of the prescription. You are carrying and importing that drug as you travel.

In the UK, i often drop into Boots at the airport for toiletries or basic headache meds, first aid things and if i can carry a basic medical bag of these bought from the Supermarket. 36p Ibuprofen can be £7 in Australia, and decongestant sprays in Holland or Australia are frowned upon and severely restricted for eg!
    In Asia you may not get some meds, whilst you could buy antibiotics at the airport without seeing a Dr.
    And remote places or if you have a medical condition you may have forgotten you pills or inhaler, or run out or lose them. travel and medical insurance will NOT cover for pre-existing, so you would have to take time to see a Dr and get medications. Often these are under different chemical and brand names, and you may not get the same.

Amsterdam Schiphol have a First Aid (Erste Hulp) / Nurses and Duty Dr 24 hrs. I know one who works there. You would be very surprised at who drops by and for what, as they are travelling and lost of forgotten or run out of meds. They have abse pharmacy there and of course you pay for being seen, meds etc. People get ill on the plane, and dont need hospital, but this service.
    But it is a brilliant service. A pharmacy removes the need for this in part, but it really depends where in the world you are, as to what they can will give you, and regulations.
    It annoys me when designer labels push out basic stores such as news and pharmacy services, that keep us all informed n safe actually. Mostly i find them a rip off and designed labels do not make me anything i cannot make myself, i find them very materialistic and opaque!

Large International Airports need pharmacy stores, and we do need access to them. So do not underestimate how much they can underpin our Business and Leisure travel, and indeed our personal health and safety and hygiene in all they supply.

wowzimmer
    Participant

Oh David, don’t get me wrong. I love that peculiar masculine whiff that men emit, but there is no harm in a couple of mini sprays of Acqua di Parma on the pulse points. I guarantee it will not give you an asthma attack.

… Love this comment!
    I just wish Heathrow stocked Aqua Di Parma!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls