AIRPORT SECURITY Laptops and Liquids

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I the last 3 weeks I have departed LHR T1, PRG, LCY, DXB,& MCT and transited ZRH(twice), FRA, DXB and CAI.

What surprised me is that I was only asked to get my laptop out of its case at LHR, LCY, ZRH, PRG and FRA. Indeed departing and transiting DXB they did not question an inadvertant can of deoderent that I had left in my bag. They also did not question this at MCT or CAI.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that hand luggage is screened before entering the check in area at DXB and MCT or can they see what they need to it being in the bag. They are using xrays afterall.

I would have thought though especially with all the unrest all around, airports in the middle east would have had tighter security.

iflytoomuch
    Participant

A colleague of mine recently passed through DXB security ( into the airport) with a 1 litre bottle of water in a backpack that was completely missed — we wondered ???

stevescoots
    Participant

call me old fashioned…but it may not be wise to discuss areas where security is somewhat lighter than other places.

As I say, i may be old fashioned….

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I think some places just have a more realistic approach to risk than others. After all, how many bottles of water have you seen explode or even heard of it being reported? How many belts have we heard reported on as being packed with high explosive?

Security in airports is a joke, it’s there to give people a false sense of security and to find work for jobs worths. I have little or no confidence in it to prevent anything but I do think these days I and fellow passengers would have no hesitation in tackling someone on board an aircraft who posed a threat. That is the real security, forget about the nonsense in airports, it’s a humiliating waste of time in the main.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I agree with stevecoots in that sometimes its best not to discuss weak points of airport security. However, in these instances it is the main due to the total lack of understanding by the machine operatives and people undertaking the body search, who seem more intent on seeing how close they can touch people without a complaint.

I dont even bother at the moment to use the plastic bags for liquids – the last 2 months or so, nobody has queried anything except for a large tube of toothpaste (in the UK)

I get extremely aggravated when I see security personel more focused onm chatting and using their mobile phones. Unfotunately, this may be an irresponsible attitude, but I cant take security seriously at the moment when the very people at the check points show a total lack of understanding and respect for what they are meant to be doing.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came across this:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383901/TSA-officials-look-quicker-security-checks-regular-flyers-airports.html

Seems FF data will be made available to Security and allow those FF’s with high status to be subject to less security, not having to remove shoes, laptops etc.

I know other posters (though I could not find the threads) have long been suggesting this is the way to go, so it looks like it could be happening soon, in the US at least.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Well, it doesn’t take long to get a Gold Card so we can all be reassured by the logic of that one! Given that pilots and cabin crew are the most frequent flyers and they are subject to the same nonsense as the rest of us it is even more ridiculous. A mate who is a pilot had his nail clippers confiscated at LHR again a couple of weeks age. The fact that he could crash his A320 into Canary Wharf tower is of course irrelevant.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess the criteria will be a bit more stringent than just a Gold FF card. At least I hope so!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls