Airlines avoiding Afghanistan (August 16)

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Afghanistan lies on the main air routes to India and SE Asia.

This tweet from @flightradar24 shows just how many airlines overfly the country over a 24 hour period.

It shows the air traffic on a normal day. In this case August 9.

Now commercial airlines are avoiding that country’s airspace has been “released to the military” reports Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/airlines-reroute-flights-avoid-afghanistan-airspace-2021-08-16/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It could mean that flight routings are extended leading to schedule changes.

Much will depend on the airline and the routing.

But Qantas (which currently flies to Europe on an ad hoc basis) any delay might be longer.

cwoodward
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The current situation is effective BA’s schedules (and probably others) when routing between Europe and SE Asia.

B777 pilot Charles Price tweeted his route for flight BA 3599 LHR-BKK.

I presume this is a cargo flight.

In normal times it might be possible to fly LHR-BKK is a little over 10 hours but this particular flight took three hours longer because of its southerly routing.

cwoodward
    Participant

For those who may be interested the below URL is what is said to be a live video stream from yesterday of Kabul airport – said to be of Russian origin.
    It is a long video and I have only dipped into it but at about 8 minutes in I could see some 11 heavy transport aircraft that looked to be of military origin and later a couple of what looked to be large passenger aircraft

2 users thanked author for this post.

fatbear
    Participant

[postquote quote=1107479]

New ideas for Ryanair ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls