Airline sponsorship of football clubs

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The effectiveness of sponsorship in general, and specifically of sporting teams is an interesting one. I sometimes wonder what companies get from showering money on sports (while at the same time glad they do so, if it improves a team’s prospects by providing funds). In some cases I can see it’s a general awareness campaign – many potential travellers had trouble pronouncing Etihad until the sponsorship of Manchester City. In other cases there are more interesting reasons. Hilton’s sponsorship of a F1 team was more to do with meeting prospective owners of properties in a conducive atmosphere, I recall.

canucklad
    Participant

Some critical points here…..

I find it remarkable that an industry that continually seems to teeter on the edge of financial doom and gloom, jumps into bed with a sport that, although popular has a financial business model that an RBS Stegosaurus could only dream up…..Football is one failed broadcaster away from financial meltdown.

You are also correct about the “ignorant masses”……Why would Turkish Airlines alienate the light blue populace of Manchester and vice versa. Although in the case of Etihad , its more of a case of MCFC creative accounting!!.

That is why the 2nd & 3rd largest clubs (support) in the UK normally get sponsored by the same company.

And a question to you, as a BA shareholder, if they managed to get themselves into a situation where they could rival EK for global exposure and its subsequent success, would you vote “Aye” or “Nay”

As far as being an opiate……..well…..I will have to agree with you……After watching my team for 15 minutes I normally find myself fast asleep in my seat at the stadium!

SimonS1
    Participant

So VK once again you make a comment which winds everyone up and this time even has people who claim to be your supporters thinking what a buffoon you are.

Only a couple of days after you got a similar reaction when you went off on one of your anti BASSA drones on another thread. I don’t know you nor do I particularly want to, but don’t you think it’s all a bit dull?

If the personal “attacks” offend you so much you don’t have to post on here. There is always Flyer Talk, maybe a repeat of the whodunnit type session that happened last time your name was mentioned.

canucklad
    Participant

Ahh….VK …..I suspect you might have the definative answer to the “Offside Rule” as well as the the very confusing what is shielding and when does it become obstruction rule 🙂

Back on thread……Vietnam Airlines exposure has definately increased….although i’m not sure they sponsor a team…i’ve seen their billboards on Sky Sports coverage!!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Morning forum users!

Well, I’ve done my best to edit this perfectly inoffensive thread to get it back on track – there are a few traces left but I wanted to keep the topic because it’s interesting for some.

If you want to start a new topic on how BT is mistaken in not policing the forum more closely (eg: treating our readers like intelligent adults) feel free to do so – but let’s keep this one on sponsorship and football.

Until recently, the shirt sponsor of Villarreal FC was Castellón Airport – a ‘ghost airport’.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/world/europe/in-spain-a-symbol-of-ruin-at-an-airport-to-nowhere.html

Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad – on reading your post I’m not sure if you’re referring to the airlines as the industry teetering on the brink of financial doom and gloom, or if you are referring to the financial institutions themselves? I have been known to close a bank account when I am made aware that the bank sponsors a football club! Would I fly an airline because they sponsor a football club, probably, as I have no financial investment in them.

As an aside – My late grandmama was an avid Dons supporter (Aberdeen FC), had her season ticket and was seen every Saturday at Pittodrie in her seat wearing her fur (real) coat – and before you ask, yes she did!!!! She went to all the away matches too! I still have the coat, but there would have to be tartan snow before you would catch me at any football match! The nearest I’ve been to football is a Take That concert at Sunderland Stadium of Light last year. What a place! 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Papillion….was talking about airlines, although it is interesting to see how banks also use sponsorship to increase their exposure.

I remember being bemused arriving in HKG to a massive sign saying “RBS Welcomes you to Hong Kong” and here I thought HSBC was the only Scottish bank in HK!!

Getting back to my point of the airlines….Just 10 years ago, nobody really heard of Emirates, now a global brand….helped by their high profile support for all things sport !!

Football, Hockey, Rugby and now the Glasgow Commonwealth Games !!

BigDog.
    Participant

Sad to report it is not just football but now cricket – the Lancashire Ground Old Trafford is being renamed Emirates Old Trafford.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/counties/9899974/Welcome-to-Emirates-Old-Trafford-Lancashire-cricket-club-sell-ground-naming-rights-to-Dubai-based-airline.html

Am looking forward to a cutting riposte from Aggers.

scharbach
    Participant

Real Madrid have not just confirmed a record sponsorship deal with Emirates Airline but they have also revealed their 2013-14 home kits by adidas. Real Madrid join a host of top teams from Europe who display the Emirates sponsorship on their shirts. AC Milan, Arsenal and PSG are the other three.

JordanD
    Participant

Whilst not main sponsor, Man Utd have announced this week, that they have changed Official Airline – from Turkish Airlines to Aeroflot.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2013/Jul/manchester-united-announce-global-partnership-with-aeroflot.aspx

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls