Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

LondonCity,

From GVA (a 400k inhabitants city, 800+ within a 50km radius), we have daily a A330 from EY and QR and a 777-300ER from EK. Not that bad… Plus they sell also via FRA, MUC and … LHR. My feeling is that people are now confident to fly with them, something that wasn’t may-be the case about 10 years ago.

Thailand is suffering a lot. They had to open the dams to the North of Bangkok and announced that part of the city will be flooded, including the business area… But they seems to have no other options. Worse flooding in 50 years :-/

Binman62
    Participant

Londncity….Afraid I must disagree with your analysis.

BA will not be going to SYD from BKK and Qantas are at the same time removing 2 x 747 operations at LHR each day including BKK LHR.

BA will operate a new HKG service in lieu of the QF operation but effectively there will be 450 fewer seats a day offered on n the UK OZ route by the JSA carriers (BA and QF)

You will see fares to OZ rise sharply in the next few months (though given the economic climate they may simply remain stable).

WT+ on BA was at one stage in the last month priced at £1895 return double the costs of WT. Business on a flat bed is now £3900 in the sale and First over £6000.

2 years ago I took a family of 4 on the QF A380 for £10K. This was booked first and included a stopover out and back. Since then fares have more than doubled.

Both BA and QF have reduced capacity to increase fares and the JSA agreement allows such manipulation of capacity. This is a win win for both as they will see increased yield on the OZ route whilst still being able to deploy the aircraft on other lucrative routes. Add to this the strong economic position of Australia and the huge demand for outbound travel and you have high demand matched to limited capacity. QED higher fares.

Redemption bookings will become harder as there is no co-operation between BA and QF on this matter on this route despite the JSA and shared revenue. For the customers it is very much lose lose.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Binman

I agree that fewer BA/QF seats could spell higher fares, although as you say much will depend on the supply and demand equation.

What I said above re LHR-BKK is that BA will, for the first time in many years, no longer route its Australian service via BKK.

In other words it will operate a standalone LHR-BKK service which ought to mean BA will price more keenly on this route than it has in the past.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

When analysing air fares I always feel it’s helpful to have an idea of when you are travelling because seasons change and airlines can revise their schedules up or down.

But who could have forseen that AF would see fit to cut back its CDG-BKK service next summer. For as long I can remember, BKK has been an important city on the AF network and for years AF has mounted a daily service.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/air-france-to-retreat-from-bangkok

I suppose that fewer seats ex-CDG mean higher AF fares although AF’s move should not impact on prices ex-LHR.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Wow, no more an option I guess… 17″ width for 10+ hours, forget it! Unless they price really aggressively, I doubt it will work…

LeTigre
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be great for an airline to focus less on shareholder value and huge profits and actually charge reasonable fares for a good service on a spacious plane. Up until now I believe Qatar has been good at this, as well as Etihad, but in my view, all the others have lost the point. Perhaps someone will remind BA of its favourite slogan: To Fly, To Serve. Service includes fares. Even if call them fuel surcharges!

Venetian Lady
    Participant

I find that fares ex Italy are generally much cheaper…
    Have just booked a fare to bkk in Jan with LX and found the fare dropped and was on par with QR & EY. I have travelled considerably with QR & EY and although they are excellent airlines much prefer LX as it is a direct route. I find the transit in Doha or Ahu very tiring as it is often the middle of the night and disrupts the sleep pattern and adds extra travel time.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls