Airbus A321XLR “faces range gap”

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Over the previous months we have reported on those airlines who have ordered the A321XLR.

This new aircraft will enable airlines to operate long-haul routes more economically because of its range.

Now Reuters reports that European regulators have mandated that Airbus resign the rear central fuel tank. The latter is to provide extra fuel allowing the A321XLR to extend range by 15 per cent.

A321XLR has a maximum range of up to 8,700 kms. The modified fuel tank, which is heavier, is expected to lower the range by 370 kms.

370 kms may not seem a lot but it could be crucial for airlines like Jet Blue and Icelandair who have purchased A321XLRs to enable them to extend their operations.

Of course I suppose the airlines could reduce the seat count but then that would increase operational costs.

North America is a very important market for Icelandair. Airlineweekly.com reports that the Reykjavik-based carrier now carries more passengers to North America than it does to Iceland.

Full report here:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/airbus-a321xlr-faces-growing-range-gap-after-design-tweak-sources-2023-07-21/

We reported on the A321XLR in June 2022. It was scheduled to enter service this year but the modification is expected to delay service entry to 2024.

Airbus A321 XLR takes first flight

4 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

London to San Francisco is given as 8638kms so, in theory, the ‘loss’ of 370kms would remove that as an option. At the same time, and if there was a choice (flying economy), I would actively look to avoid flying any great distance in a narrow body aircraft.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes but I would have thought the A321XLR is aimed more at niche airline and/or for niche, rather than volume, routes,

As we reported last April Icelandair has chosen Airbus instead of Boeing for its future fleet.

Its present B757s and B737s cannot match the range of Airbus’ product.

Icelandair has ordered 13 A321XLRs in addition to 12 A321LRs.

The latter have a range of up to 7,400 kms.

Mileage Reykjavik to San Francisco is 6,765 kms.

Airlineweekly reports that Icelandair now carries more passengers from Europe to North America (via Iceland) than it does to Reykjavik itself.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Sorry, I was being slightly facetious with the London – San Francisco route and understand that the XLR is aimed at long, thin routes. For those major airports in Europe that have spare slots, I would have thought that the XLR would be ideal for a number of routes to Africa, such as Dar Es Salam & Lusaka.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kjell
    Participant

Just looking at range as one number isn’t really correct. The range could be 8638 one day one direction, but be something completely different the next day going the other direction. Winds are not constant. And flying into headwinds decrease range.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. But the fact remains that this A321XLR will still have the longest range of any narrow-body.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls