Air Travel Memories

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think that was the one LondonCity. Perhaps they used the Dornier?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I believe you are correct. Maybe the small carrier in question eventually linked with VLM ?

Tim2soza
    Participant

A very recent memory. Just watched a Lufty A380 take off from SFO and climb out over the hills. Wonderful.

AA lounges available to BAEC Silver and Gold. I have used SFO today for 4 hours total in 2 visits between a local meeting, once on arrival and once in departure. Free WiFi and very comfy chairs. Grub is paid for but very edible. Very relaxed ambiance and meeting rooms also available. AA now offer 1 day passes for $50 and 30 day passes for $99 if you don’t have the right BAEC card. Well worth it for peace and quiet and working time.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s coming back bit by bit LC. RTM LCY was the only route they flew and just as LCY had a slow start, so did they, facing competition from the well established City Hopper route to LHR operated by KLM’s F28. I think having established the route, they were then taken over by VLM.

Tim, I had a similar experience in CPT while in Waterfront. A LH A380 made a very, very low pass right overhead and then flew over Table Mountain. My boys also saw it from the hotel room and we all agreed it was a very impressive sight. It is truly massive seen like that.

Bullfrog
    Participant

How about Suckling Airways ? .. used to fly out of Cambridge using a Dornier. The owner was the pilot .. Roy ?? and his wife used to hand out homemade sandwiches prior to boarding.

esselle
    Participant

Standing on the top (open) floor of the multi storey car park at Kai Tak, watching the planes fly toward the chequerboard, then bank towards the right, and land on the runway below, was always a thrill.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

@Bullfrog: Back in the days of stand-by fares, I remember my elder brother chortling for hours, after planning a trip to the US and discovering that on Aer Lingus you could reserve your stand-by tickets.

LeighHowell
    Participant

Bring back Brtish Caledonian!!!

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Oh, yes, Bullfrog – let’s not forget Suckling with their petite stews (none taller than 5’4?). I once turned up for a flight and was presented with a birthday cake. Beat that, Emirates First !

I’d love to be able to travel from Cambridge to Manchester and Amsterdam now that STN is suffering its seasonal sclerosis with the holiday flights on full blast.

Shearer
    Participant

I remember flying from Inverness to Stansted, on a fam trip to London with KLMuk. Stansted was a revelation – light, spacious and calm. Those were the days!

From my travel agency days, we used a great little booking system called ABC Easyres. It was run by Reed Travel Group and allowed us to make scheduled flight bookings without need of a GDS. BA had their own version called BA-Link.

Dan Air.
    Gill Air.

Britannia Scheduled – from Belfast to Luton, the first low-cost domestic flight.

Shearer
    Participant

Suckling Airways – they always seemed brilliant.

They were featured on a documentary and I always wanted to fly them.

Loganair bought them and brought back the name… but the website is still scotairways!

http://www.scotairways.co.uk/

dubtraveller
    Participant

Few years back, my weekly travels up and down the Australian east coast (Briz,,Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Mackay, Cairns) on the Qantas Link Dash-8’s..at times a bit hair-raising on the landings, but hugely enjoyable (to a plane nut) with fantastic views….compare that to the prospect of a US Airways transatlantic economy this weekend (cue sympathy)

millionsofmiles
    Participant

1981 from Denpasar to Yogjakarta, a DC) of Garuda, flight booked and confirmed, but full. Some namedropping got me on the flight: me in the stewardess jump seat and my wife had to take a baby on her lap.

The routing to SIngapore with SQ was: AMS-ORY-BAH-CMB-SIN: seat distance was bigger, you got playsets with cards, magnetic chess sets, matches, you could smoke (unitl 1996 anyway), great service…and that in Y.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You have my sympathy Dub. Good luck!

I remember those SIA flights millions, ex AMS they would also fly via Rome or ZRH, and instead of CMB it could be BKK and Male. I still have a cople of ashtrays from SIA as well as several packs of playing cards. Those were the days!!!

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Lugano Pirate…right, I do have some cutlery from these days.
    Swissair used to give you a little porcellain asthtray in F, LH served a hot meal on a 20 mins flight in F like FRA-NUE.
    In these days LH packed 21 F-seats into the nose of a 747, SQ had 20. You got served free cigarettes in F, last time a pack of Marlboros on EK in 1993 (?) FRA-DXB.
    Funny about money: My first LH-Ticket open jaw FRA-SFO and JFK-FRA was 1780 DEM, so 900 €. Nowadays one pays a little less, and that is 31 years ago. They served 2 hot meals plus a nice snack and unlimited beverages on LH, in Y.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls