Air miles – are they really worth collecting?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Globalti
    Participant

I’ve got around 340,000 miles accumulated with AF/KLM and SWMBO keeps telling me it’s time I used them to jet the family off somewhere sunny with a beach.

So I’ve been looking at the airline websites and once you’ve actually found the air miles page it becomes clear that with AF/KLM at least, they aren’t the gold-plated gift you thought. For example I can fly all three of us to Vancouver (random choice) for 70,000 miles each but the airport taxes would cost us a hefty £1500. This late in the year there is almost no choice of flights at all, maybe things are better if you book further ahead but I can’t help having the feeling that air miles are nothing more than a scam to entice passengers into buying otherwise unsold seats on unpopular flights.

After an hour on line trying out various warm-sounding places I gave up with a headache. Has anybody actually used their air miles for a holiday and were you able to use them for the hotel as well? I’m interested to know your experiences.

(My other problem is that I have never actually arranged a holiday in a hot destination; I go to hot places on business, not for fun. My hols have always been skiing or mountaineering in cool places so a family beach holiday is an unknown experience and I’m not really sure where to start.)

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I have still got 500,000 Star Alliance Miles and have excactly the same issue. Recently tried to book an award trip to Spain for my daughter and me but ended up finding nothing that made any sense…after much searching we finally went with Ryanair for less total cost than the price of the taxes & fees that came with the ‘free’ flight.

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

I find they are mainly useful for upgrading.

But I agree in general terms, especially as some of the schemes periodically decide to downgrade the value of your miles. Funny how they never seem to upgrade the value…

TominScotland
    Participant

Hi Globalti

I have generally done OK with KLM/ AF and have booked good family holidays in Asia, the US and the Caribbean with them. The tax can be a pain but only if you book in Economy because they can amount to about as much as many discounted fares. Its usually much better value in Business. Taxes usually make European destinations pointless as awards because LCCs or other deals are often cheaper.

If you are flexible about routings and airlines and book well in advance, its not too bad. For example, I am looking at Australia with Skyteam for this winter – no options into BNE or SYD but MEL is quite open so we’ll start there. The KLM web tool is quite good, if not the Europe-based help line is usually excellent.

bmi can be a different kettle of fish with variable service from their call centre. Managed a good routing with family to the Gulf last October with LH in C but more often than not I have got little joy out of them. The bmi web tool is very limited and does not really offer full access to Star Alliance options.

Swissdiver
    Participant

It is worth collecting them is the bottom line. We made a few years ago a world tour in C on miles (One World)… Now there are all these taxes and fuel surcharges that of course airlines don’t want to incorporate in their main fare precisely because they would loose them when the pax is using miles. As a result, it almost disqualifies imho short haul Y flights. Miles are useful however for upgrades or for long haul C or F flights (taxes are still there but represent a smaller portion of the total price).

NTarrant
    Participant

Most definately worth collecting not matter which type you collect, whether BA, Sykteam or whoever. It is best to stick with one particular type to get the best value. Using for short haul is a waste, use for upgrades, I have used BA miles for upgrades to US and ME.

Tom is quite right you have to be flexable on dates and routings. I have just booked out to SYD in Jan, F out and J back with changes enroute, the taxes etc still work out at just slightly over half the Y fare.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Although I have some large-ish balances in the BA/AA and other schemes, I redeemed almost 750,000 last year in anticipation of a squeeze on availability and an increase in fees; both have come to pass.

Despite that, I snagged an F rtn to MIA last month for next Easter and fully expect to be able to fly where I want to next year on vacation in my chosen premium cabin, for around half the Y fare.

An example as to why it’s worth collecting even when you’re on an alliance you don’t fly regularly: I have amassed about 20k in both United and Continental schemes, an amount which in itself is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I usually credit to bmi when flying Star and hardly ever flew Continental/Skyteam, but now they are merging the amount is close to achieving a decent premium award on Star Alliance, despite hardly ever having flown them, and can be supplemented by Amex MR points (until Sept).

So a little knowledge and a fair wind can make even the most occasional trips, to otherwise poorly used carriers, valuable.

Globalti
    Participant

Thanks all, useful comments. I will try to book something for later in the year.

Capedoctor
    Participant

My family have used them for years for all sorts reasons. Club class from Africa for family.

Once my sister missed her flight in Rome and to buy a single ticket back would’ve cost £350. with air miles she managed to get a flight back easily with about £40 taxes.

Next week Newark in wtplus with club return. Normal wt plus would’ve cost £1200+each.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls