Air France New Service on medium haul flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

Pierre
    Participant

I flew from CDG to Oslo and back last week, and was very much surprised by the new service now offered by AF on medium haul flights

Flying EcoPremium, the plane was an E190, almost full.

The crew was very professional, attending the passengers a very pleasant way.

Coats were collected and hanged in the locker room ( this had disappeared on AF years ago, then ‘copied’ by most european airlines), so it was an excellent info to see it back.

A cold meal was served(starter, cold main dish, cheese, dessert) meaning that the ‘plastic box’ was over..

On the way back, the same quality of service and care from the crew..

No caviar yet in Y, but a major step forward. I am pleased to see Skyteam members be more reactive. I often fly SK to Scandinavia, but think switching to AF.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I would hardly call Paris to Oslo medium haul; it’s only 734 miles. Medium haul is usually defined as 3-6 hours.

Pierre
    Participant

It is considered as medium haul, above 2.30 hours, and sold as such. Above 5 is considered long haul.
    Even better if AF reviewed its service for shorter flights.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Above 6 is considered long haul. CDG-OSL is less than 2:30 hours and the small E190 is a slower plane.

Also flights under 2,000 miles are classed as short haul for APD purposes.

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi Pierre,

That sounds good. I actually don’t mind the white box as the container of it always good and tasty. And I always find AF cabin crew as friendly and professional.

If CDG-OSL is considered as a short houl and the catering is that good, imagine the medium haul flights, it should be even better right? 😉

A friend of mind just flew AMS and Stuggart with KLM in EBC, and was really impressed with the service and catering for such a short houl. I guess the AF-KLM plan to be world’s leading carrier has started and yes, I have to agree with the improvement of SkyTeam, I can really feel it especially with their standardization of service. 🙂

Have a good weekend.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Hi Pierre

Thank you for your review.

I have a flight LYS-GOT next week, in premium eco, it’s scheduled for 2h25m, so it will be interesting to see what we get.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Pierre, I wonder if this has anything to do with the staffing cuts that must be made at AF? They’re perhaps being extra nice so that they will not be the ones to be culled! Just a thought?

Pierre
    Participant

Hi LuganoPirate,
    The staff leaving for redundancy leaves having accepted it, and will get a compensation.
    So, I do not think it has anything common with being kind or efficient.
    Important to notice: it is the first time very heavy changes take place at AF without a strike…i think AF is back on the right tracks. All scheuled hanges show it.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I flew in AF last year in C on two european sectors and was quite shocked at the plastic white boxes, and was not that impressed. I was further unimpressed with the champagne in a plastic cup however.

BA does better on short haul business presentation, however I must say the food on AF was tasty and the staff warm, efficient and very personable & friendly.

My experiences of AF cabin crew have always been positive, and their ground crew are the best I have come across.

Pierre
    Participant

Hi,
    Good news, it seems the plastic box disappeared on board AF even on short haul flights!!
    I flew yesterday from CDG to LHR and was served a breakfast on a tray,
    The main changes were the chocolate replaced with candies from ‘Fauchon’.
    Besides that, light turbulences when approachnig, and arrival delayed by 10mn for plenty of excellent reasons…Safe trip to all !

Edski777
    Participant

I recently noticed these changes in attitude on a number of KL and AF flights within Europe. Impressive and welcome.

I believe that AF-KLM, both AF and KLM that is, is getting their act together. It goes even further: Skyteam members are improving their on-board services and are more and more getting credits for this.
    BA beware!

tworoose
    Participant

if anyone is still reading this thread- we’re flying from CMN/Casablanca to TLS/Toulouse next spring – i’ve never flown on AF before and wonder if there’s any chance of a delicious meal on the 2 1/4 hour flight? (even if it’s in a plastic box…)

Pierre
    Participant

Hello Tworoose!
    Delicious would be too much.. However, AF service on short& medium haul is getting upgraded, ad today meals are far better on AF than on LH or SK.
    If you are in C or Y Premium you will get a meal on a tray, rather good and original, well presented. Drinks as usual, including Champagne. The plastic box disappeared..
    Nice flight and enjoy Toulouse! A great city!

MarcusUK
    Participant

AF has started “Hop”, for the Regional areas of France and some European destinations. If i recall correctly, Marseille, and Toulouse and amongst those who only now have these services.
    These are supposed to be a low cost operation, aside from AF full services. these routes have been very loss making.
    Their “Hop” website lists the destinations in Europe now.

The Aircraft whilst “zoned on check in” offered absolutely nothing different, no separate cabin, different seats or food service.
    So these Regional bases operate Hop only flights now. the lowest fares do not earn FB miles or flights count towards your status membership, as Cityjet in LCY, (who are to be sold off soon). The whole point, is to set them aside and have responsibility for their own network, and losses, and reduce costs.

The difference with KLM or AF on the same route (eg AMS-CDG), is astonishingly , completely different. The staff attitudes, food & drink, seating, whole service, type of, age, and state of the aircraft, on KLM far exceeds anything AF seem capable of on European flights.
    On Long Haul, several of us when flying AF, have really poor experiences, compared to KLM where we have no problems at all. It does not matter what class you are in.
    I would not be too enthusiastic about AF and what to expect!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls