Air France JNB to CDG flight time changes

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• bluemooner
    Participant

Air France NS20 Johannesburg schedule changes
    Posted 15 November 2019 01:30

Air France in Northern summer 2020 season is re-timing Paris CDG – Johannesburg schedule, reflected in recent schedule update. From 29MAR20, Johannesburg departure will move from evening hours to morning hours, which means arrival time in Paris shifts to evening hours.

AF990 CDG1820 – 0500+1JNB 77W D
    AF995 JNB0900 – 1945CDG 77W D

The outbound times are fine, however the Return flights are now useless.

As someone who has travelled many times on this flight, the new timings seem to make little sense in terms of connections. In South Africa, those passengers connecting from other cities (eg Cape Town. Durban etc would need to stay overnight near JNB Airport in order to catch the morning flight. Similarly, on arrival in Paris at 19.45 it arrives too late to connect onwards to most places. As a traveller from Manchester, I might now have to use BA via Heathrow. Not a prospect I would look forward to.

capetonianm
    Participant

The EU-ZA route is a difficult one. Slot/curfew and other constraints generally oblige EU carriers to have an aircraft sitting on the tarmac from early morning until evening, and ZA carriers have to do the same at the EU end. Unless that aircraft is being serviced during that time, this represents 12 hours or so of useless time which is costing, rather than earning, money.
    This was one of the reasons (excuses) that SAA used for losing more money on their London route than any other. The real reasons are not for discussion here.

From time to time many of the carriers have used daylight flights, which most passengers seem to dislike (I love them as much as I loath the night flight!) but the downside to those is lack of connectivity, often at both ends. The benefit to the carrier is better a/c utilisation.

To minimise downtime, airlines with double daily rotations could offer one day flight and one night flight in each direction but I imagine that the economics don’t work out, mainly because a lot of people who will pay for premium class on an overnight flight won’t do so on a day flight.

As far as the AF flight is concerned, most domestic destinations in ZA would offer connections into JNB for a 0900 departure, and CPT has a nonstop to CDG so is probably irrelevant.

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

I also notice that the a/c type is changed from an A380 to a 777.

SimonS1
    Participant

Durban certainly has a 7.30 arrival in JNB….no need to stay overnight.

bluemooner
    Participant

Not sure that I would want to have such a short transit time as 90 minutes flying from Durban.
    It’s quite a walk from Domestic to International Terminal at JNB and cannot recollect a Fast Track system in the International Terminal.

Also there is an onward issue at CDG with a late arrival.

Understand Capetonianm’s comment about European Airlines aircraft parked up at JNB for several hours, earning no revenue.

Perhaps a compromise of some of their weekly flights could revert to the original times, so as to assist more passengers transmitting Paris.

No doubt such a suggestion will fall on deaf ears.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=978303][/postquote]

It isn’t more than 5/7 minutes walk to the first international security channel, I’ve done it many times. Plus security is normally quiet at that time, most of the traffic is in the evening peak. If on a single ticket bags can be checked through too.

I’m sure AF will have done a study of where their traffic is originating from/going to. Airlines don’t like different times on different days as it confuses passengers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I realise you would miss your FFP points etc but have you considered Durban-Dubai-Manchester ?

kershcliff
    Participant

[postquote quote=978318][/postquote]
    I have used the Dubai route.

Business Class is usually much more expensive. (my company so comes out of my pocket)
    No Premium Economy Option (for a few years to come)
    15-16 hours of flying, whereas via Europe at least 3 hours less.

On reflection, I might just have to have a couple of nights in Paris on the way back.
    Not the worst place in the world to have to stay.
    Ooh la la!!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A bit late to this, but I agree with Simon, it’s a short walk from Domestic to International, with the caveat that it is cutting it a bit short if there are delays or you have to collect baggage. Kulula have an agreement with AF where you can check your baggage through. It’s also possible to buy a thought ticket, but these tend to be a lot more expensive than buying the two legs separately.

If you’re travelling the Garden route, CPT makes more sense with good connections from George (GRJ).
    If JNB and a day flight is your preferred choice then an overnight from GRJ is necessary, but personally I’d rather that than go for a 4am start. It also allows for any delays.

I’ve stayed at Blue Mango Lodge close to the airport, with free private car shuttle and excellent restaurant, as well as the Intercon and City Lodge which are connected to the airport and a short walk. It’s then easy to get back to the airport to dine at one of the many restaurants there. Southern Sun, where many crew stay, is a short shuttle bus away.

I’m now tempted to go down with KLM and return with AF as this would mean a day flight (which I prefer) in both directions, and if an overnight is needed either end, then I’d rather it in a proper bed than an airline one!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls