Air France baggage policy

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

BobJazz
    Participant

I was a bit puzzled by, what I thought, was a strange policy by AF on a recent flight – I would be keen to hear thoughts on whether I am naive or it was indeed a rip off?

I had a booking on AF from Biarritz to Paris, upon arriving I wanted to check in a one piece luggage, it was 30kg in weight – I was told I had to pay Euros 55 as a penalty fee for the suitcase bcs of the weight (that’s almost equivalent to the ticket price) – the rationale was that luggage allocation for AF flights is 46kg but in 2 bags of a max of 23kg each – coming with one bag which exceeds the 23kg limit is subject to a penalty???

It did not add up for me? where is the rationale? if the flight had budgeted 46kg in 2 bags for me, then what was the problem with 30kg in one bag?? It is that the baggage handler cannot carry an extra 7kg in one piece???? is AF only way adding more revenue and balancing it’s books??

AF staff did not provide any clarity/reasoning, apart from the “it’s policy” statements – one of them tried to justify, claiming that other airlines would charge for the 1st kilo – I told her these are low-cost carriers not AF???

Anyone out there with some thoughts on this would be welcome?

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Am not familiar with AF regs, though with respect to health and safety generally, there are advisory limits for manual lifting.

Nothing is set in stone as there are many variables however as a rule of thumb 20-25kg for a single person.

http://www.mgkscotland.co.uk/lift_drive/health&safety/lifting.htm

The charge may be more due to the need for two handlers to load/move your single piece of luggage as it would necessitate special treatment being deemed overweight for one handler.

Senator
    Participant

CallMeIshmael,

Whilst I agree that lifting heavy weight could be a strain on ground staff, why is then “normal” allowance for a business or First passenger 32kg per checked piece?

My view on this is simple:
    Yields are down
    Fuel is up
    Average body weight is up (including mine)
    Weight is a major issue in regards to fuel consumption

Hence, separate the passengers by cabin. Looks like we have a rough, “simplified” model in works across the industry:
    Econ cabin: 1 x 23kg
    Econ plus: 2 x 32kg
    Business: 2 x 32kg
    First: 3 x 32kg
    Status customers tend to get one extra piece for cabin booked.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls