Air fare price rises!?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Tinp0tTaipan
    Participant

I’m looking at booking LHR-HKG return flight, departing mid August, returning mid-December (live in HK, this is my summer and xmas breaks) and have found direct flights are £900-plus in economy, £1,500 in PE.

Same trip last year £600/£1,200. Why the increase, and why is it proportionally higher in economy? Oil prices have not gone up that much, surely neither has demand?

You chaps know about this sort of stuff…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some reasons:

1. Higher APD compared with 2010.
    2. When did you book your tickets last year ? I ask, because airlines (especially non-stop carriers) tend to offer lower seat sale rates nearer the time depending on demand.
    3. Airlines have cut capacity on the HKG route. Fewer seats mean higher fares.
    4. Although Britons may not be travelling as much, other nationals are thanks to strong currencies, rising prosperity and so on.
    5. Last but not least, you are travelling at some of the busiest times of the year.

For a better price:

1. Wait until nearer the time (but then you may not get the dates of your choice).
    2. Book an indirect carrier.
    3. Travel midweek.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Also last year airlines were still suffering from the effects of the recession and looking to fill empty seats. I remember we flew to Singapore from Frankfurt with Lufthansa for just € 1,300 each in Business – a special offer admittedly but one not repeated this year.

So with increased passenger loads the airlines can afford to raise their fares and increase profitability which they need to do in order to invest in new aircraft etc.

If you’re looking to save I suggest some of the indirect routes offered by the likes of Qatar, Malaysia etc.

stevescoots
    Participant

you can get QR restricted econ for £690 mid august returning mid december

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls