Air Canada B737 MAX “rotated on its own”

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just before Christmas an Air Canada operated a B737 MAX flight from Vancouver to Edmonton.

The flight was carrying 160 passengers and six crew so was fairly full.

According to this report from respected aviation site AV Herald the B737 MAX began to lift off the runway unexpectedly.

The B737 MAX “was accelerating for take off from Vancouver’s runway 26L when the nose of the aircraft rose unexpectedly. The crew was able to hold the nose down and continued take off. The aircraft continued to Edmonton for a safe landing.”

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f25c6fb&opt=0

The incident is being investigated but it would appear the cause was incorrect baggage loading.

Air Canada ground staff made another error back in 1983 when a Montreal-Edmonton B767 flight was given an incorrect amount of fuel.

The B767 ran out of fuel and was forced to glide and land at an air strip near Winnipeg.

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/when-a-metric-mix-up-led-to-the-gimli-glider-emergency-1.4754039

5 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Only a few days ago there was another incident with an Air Canada B737 MAX.

This time it was a flight between Los Angeles and Vancouver.

Flightglobal reports the second incident was caused by a “load imbalance.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/details-emerge-of-second-air-canada-737-max-load-imbalance-incident/147038.article

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I now realise that some of you may encounter the Flightglobal paywall.

So here’s a summary of what happened.

It was flight AC557 LAX-YVR on January 4. The aircraft was a B737 MAX 8.

“The incident occurred on January 4 as the aircraft rotated for take-off on a service to Vancouver.

“According to the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, the crew felt that the aircraft’s nose was ‘slightly heavy.

“Once flight AC557 was airborne the pilots checked the load data verifying the accuracy of the balance calculations.

“The Safety Board says all cargo had been loaded in the forward hold, resulting in a 5.8 per cent forward difference in the centre-of-gravity position for the take-off weight in relation to the aircraft’s mean aerodynamic chord.

“The aircraft, which had 103 occupants, continued to Vancouver without further incident.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I encourage work experience and internships. But when the Director of cargo operations at Air Canada appears to be a 16 year old high school student majoring in clarinet – it’s a step too far.

No offence to clarinets btw.

3 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Good Lord – is anyone surprised when you stretch a plane like this from its original design No way would I fly on one of these and I have some big concerns about the 777 MAX as this is the same scenario. Where are the designers in all of this – they must know the issue ?

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Boeing’s 737 has grown in size since it first entered service over 50 years ago.

At the time it was considered revolutionary being the first aircraft of its type not to have rear-mounted engines.

Another novel feature was the forward stairs which were incorporated within the fuselage. The idea was to speed up ground handling at a time when almost all airports lacked air bridges … with the notable exception of Schiphol.

Lufthansa was the first airline outside North America to operate the B737.

3 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Rather concerning, I wonder if cargo/ baggage handlers have to be re-trained to deal with what i consider a stretch too far. This aircraft is IMO a classic example of over engineering to compensate for what appears to over designing. Wouldn’t be happy stepping on one !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Hope Airbus is taking note while widening the A350 !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls