Aeroports de Paris

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

rodders
    Participant

what a mess….arrived at CDG, waited almost 45 mins from landing for luggage, then had to make the cross city trip to Orly which is reminiscent of a 1960’s bus depot, so before we knock Heathrow, lets look at what our nearest competitors offer which is not so great at all.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Have you tried arriving at a peak time at Heathrow and then transferring to Gatwick?

Orly is an old fashioned airport, but as a regular user, I find it efficient and fit for purpose. It will not win any awards for most attractive terminal, but it does not resemble a 2010s bus depot (e.g. Victoria), never mind one from the 1960s era.

Also, there is an easy rail connection between CDG and ORY, using the RER B line and the OrlyVAL shuttle, connecting through a convenient interface at Antony. Door to door in around an hour, although I have managed less on a good day.

Compare that to taking a train between LHR and LGW, scheduled for around 1 hour 45 minutes.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rodders:

I am in Paris right now and DisguestedofSwieqi is very correct about the RER B train transfer between CDG and ORY. It is relatively effortless BUT not comfortable as it is not a dedicated airport Express train.

I have a pied-a-terre in both Paris and London and regular user of both airports. I found it is much more difficult to transfer from LHR to LGW BY AIRPORT BUS on a congested M25 !!!!!!

Well for the efficiency of CDG and LHR, what can I say as I am from HK and a frequent traveller for HKIA and Changi and other great airports of the A/P region!!!!!!!!!!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

FC

You are right, the RER is not comfortable, especially in peak periods, the reason I use it is to avoid congestion on the peripherique and other key roads.

There is an Air France coach, for about 19 eur (as I recall), which is more comfortable, but also more subject to uncertainty.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, when packed, CDG is a nightmare, let’s be honest about it. Its structure doesn’t allow a decent flow of passenger (2E is a bit better than the rest but still…). Now comparing CDG ORY with LHR LGW transfers doesn’t make sense to me. Actually transferring between two airports doesn’t make sense to me! I would rather route differently even if I have to add a leg to avoid this…

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Quite right, Swissdiver. There is very little logic in “connecting” between CDG and ORY or LHR and LGW, or any other so-called “London” airport for that matter. You might as well “connect” between MAN and LPL or between VIE and BTS.

JordanD
    Participant

ConstantFlyer and Swissdiver – sometimes it is unavoidable: a perfect example is what I had to do last year returning from a wedding in Montpellier. There is only one direct flight to London – on easyJet, which does not depart at the same time each day.

As such, whilst getting out there was no problem, getting back was more of an issue – and so AF via ORY & CDG was the option left available. The connection itself was painless (Sunday afternoon in August meant that the RER was empty and I could happilly take out my laptop and do some work during the journey), but arrival at ORY is a nightmare: you get turned off out of the aircraft and left to really fend for yourself. Not impressed with that.

Swissdiver
    Participant

TGV to CDG (4 hours) or to Lyon (2 hours but then a cab to the airport) could have been an option.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

I recently did a transfer between LGW and LTN and was surprised how relatively painless it was (by Thameslink train), even if it did take ages. And cost over £20.

Do I get a prize for the longest distance transfer? I recently flew into Krakow in Poland, and took an overnight train (12hrs, c. 600km) to Budapest. Very comfortable sleeper train.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Now comparing CDG ORY with LHR LGW transfers doesn’t make sense to me.”

Any particular reason why not?

– both are the #1 and 2 airports for the city they serve
    – both have major carriers (BA/AF) who sell connecting flights that require a transfer

Much better to avoid transferring, I agree, but why doesn’t the comparison makes sense?

Swissdiver
    Participant

@DoS: Because it should be avoided. Now comparing for the sake of comparing… If you like to…

MarkCymru
    Participant

Swissdiver’s right. The difference between London and Paris is that there are very fast trains from many parts of France to CDG with no stop in the city centre (much less a change of stations) — they go around Paris. I often do Lyon to CDG — it’s fast and costs about half what what a first-class train trip of equivalent length costs in the UK

transferprivate
    Participant

transfer private offer cdg airport to paris cdg orly shuttle service low cost top class service, no hassele
    http://www.transfer-private.com
    http://www.getnowshuttle.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls