Aeroflot lounges SVO

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Hi folks,

Have my first Business Class flight on SU coming up. To HKG via SVO.

SU seem to have around four or five lounges in SVO. We have a good four hours in transit (which i’m thankful for as SU seem to loose bags quite frequently). Has anyone experienced their lounges and can suggest a ‘better’ one?

Many thanks šŸ™‚

paulkaz
    Participant

This review has a good summary of the newest lounge https://youtu.be/vdLRPY1vUSQ

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=943604]This review has a good summary of the newest lounge https://youtu.be/vdLRPY1vUSQ[/quote]

Thanks for that!

I had a look at the review and the lounge really looks pretty good – the only thing the reviewer negated was to mention which lounge it actually was lol.

MarkCymru
    Participant

I was at the Moscow lounge in terminal D a few weeks ago and it was very good. It’s relatively small but a really great selection of delicious hot and cold food, some comfortable armchairs and tables that are good for working. It and Galaktika (which I can’t remeber going to) are in the very smart and rather plush new bit of SVO

I haven’t been to them very recently but I’d avoid the Terminal F lounges. It’s essentially the old Soviet bit of SVO and I doubt they have done much to the lounges, which have always been a bit basic. Terminal F was, last time I went through, much as it was in the early 90s.

Overall, SVO is a good transit airport. The transit security checks are quick and efficient, although you will need to go through a light form of passport control (odd, I know) and there’s no priority queue. It’s good you’ve left time, though: if SU convince themselves you won’t make the connection, they intercept you before you can pass the transit security check and try to divert you to a room in a sealed hallway at one of their transit hotels outside the terminal (they won’t pay the sky-high prices of the in-terminal hotel) until the next flight. I resisted this politely but stubbornly and got myself re-routed after about 20 minutes of “nyets”

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m there tomorrow so can report back.

Last time I flew to Hong Kong with Aeroflot I stopped off for a few days in Moscow, but I used the lounges both ways, and again in January when I just went to Moscow.

capetonianm
    Participant

As a reminiscence, and I apologise for somewhat off topic content, the last time I flew Aeroflot was in the 1970s on an Ilyushin 62 (VC10ski). Lovely aircraft.

We were ‘upgraded’ to F on the inbound. The difference was a tatty piece of fabric stuck to the cabin sides as a separator, and the grey tasteless food was tipped out of the grey cardboard box onto a grey china plate which was placed onto the tray table by a surly hostess. In economy they just threw the box at you

Subsequent trips to Russia have been under more pleasant conditions, but I’ve not flown SU.

I know Aeroflot has transformed itself, this is not meant as criticism of the airline as it is now.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=943658]Iā€™m there tomorrow so can report back.

Last time I flew to Hong Kong with Aeroflot I stopped off for a few days in Moscow, but I used the lounges both ways, and again in January when I just went to Moscow.[/quote]

Amazing Tom, thanks!

While you are at it, they allow customers to pre book a ‘Russian Meal’ as a special meal on long haul flights. Would love to know what that actually is šŸ™‚

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=943662]As a reminiscence, and I apologise for somewhat off topic content, the last time I flew Aeroflot was in the 1970s on an Ilyushin 62 (VC10ski). Lovely aircraft.

We were ā€˜upgradedā€™ to F on the inbound. The difference was a tatty piece of fabric stuck to the cabin sides as a separator, and the grey tasteless food was tipped out of the grey cardboard box onto a grey china plate which was placed onto the tray table by a surly hostess. In economy they just threw the box at you

Subsequent trips to Russia have been under more pleasant conditions, but Iā€™ve not flown SU.

I know Aeroflot has transformed itself, this is not meant as criticism of the airline as it is now.[/quote]

I’m actually quite excited about experiencing them. The reviews of their 777 longhaul product seem pretty good. And whilst not an IL we are still flying a russian built jet to SVO on the first sector from HEL, the ‘Superjet’. I know it has a questionable safety record but i’m always excited to fly a new airline and a new aircraft type.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=943665]I know it has a questionable safety record[/quote]

Let us know you have arrived safe and sound šŸ™‚

MarkCymru
    Participant

I think this is the Russian orthodox “fasting” meal. I saw someone get one and it looked really delicious — vegetarian from what I understand as “fasting” means no meat or fish. Buckwheat, vegetables, etc… I keep meaning to order one

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s the review of the flight from Mscow to Hong Kong (the long haul bit).

Flight review: B777-300ER Aeroflot business class

and a review of the Blues Lounge is in that one.

Lounge review: Blues, Sheremetyevo (SVO)

Tomorrow I am on two short haul flights but will see which lounge I end up in…

3 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=943701]I think this is the Russian orthodox ā€œfastingā€ meal. I saw someone get one and it looked really delicious ā€” vegetarian from what I understand as ā€œfastingā€ means no meat or fish. Buckwheat, vegetables, etcā€¦ I keep meaning to order one[/quote]

I sent Aeroflot a message via Facebook asking about the Russian meal not really expecting a reply. Or as more often happens a reply to call a reservations number.

Was surprised to get a cheery reply a couple hours later with this link:

https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-en/news/60443?fbclid=IwAR2OgylKpZ81nHforwyzRtlmSlwGzkK9H2jMjg63tvhyB9syvy7A9pyeGfc

I thanked them for their reply and Aeroflot replied again with a cute heart Gif.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The Moscow lounge, where I am now, is good, but does get very busy -barely a place to sit at the moment.

I came here in January this year in the early morning and it was quieter then.

Decent range of hot food and a choice of wines and spirits…

2 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Thanks Tom. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and on the way back, I went to the sister lounge which is called St Petersburg.

This is the best one of the lot, I think. Same style and food and drink but much larger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls