Aer Lingus pulls out of charter market

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

As I’ve just discovered, because I’m booked to fly with them on January 5 to Lyon.

Aer Lingus has taken the decision that it is pulling out of the charter market over the Brexit period and beyond. It has decided (it seems) that with the real possibility of the UK crashing out of Europe leaving the operational legality of EU registered airlines in potential limbo; it is not able to offer travel companies leased aircraft for the time being.

In addition, even were there to be a Brexit settlement, the additional costs of running two operational systems side by side in the transitional year of 2018/2019 (it seems) would not be covered by the rock bottom price of the aircraft lease.

For my/our trip (lots of family) the tour operator has been offered a leased aircraft from Norwegian for the season, which doesn’t exactly fill me with delight.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I’d take a Norwegian operated flight any day for a short haul European flight so wouldn’t have any fears over that. Probably best set of flights I’ve had internally in Europe in recent times.

2 users thanked author for this post.

RatherwalkthanBA
    Participant

Likewise I like I would much rather Norwegian than the cramped likes of Aer Lingus! Plus they have wifi onboard which EI do not 🙂
    having flown with EI and D8 often id opt for D* anytime over EI …I dont see what the rants all about tbh

canucklad
    Participant

Morning TOH2
    I was really surprised with Norwegian, it is a far superior experience than most LCC@s , with the exception perhaps of Jet2.
    And since Aer Lingus has pretty much transformed itself into a LCC operation ( In Europe anyway) I’d have no hesitation in recommending Norwegian to you.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

TOH

Norwegian are great.

I’ve been using them for years, around Europe and recently for TATL.

Have no fears, they offer a better product than Lingus (though Lingus crew can be lovely and warm).

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Thanks for that. The problems I’ve experienced in the past have generally been down to a lack of replacement aircraft if one goes tech. Last time, I took the precaution of booking a one-way BA flight back from Geneva, on Avios. It was a wise move, as Norwegian’s flight was delayed by about eight hours.

I’ve done exactly the same this time: booked a one-way flight back from Lyon. 4,000 Avios and £17.50 makes it cheap insurance, especially as (being a Gold Card holder) I can get my skis carried for free.

And thanks all. Nice to be reassured. I hope it’s all AOK.

I wonder why I’m not being notified of the replies (here and in other threads)? Mr Otley? Any idea?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls