Aer Lingus New Business Class A330

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Looks mighty fine to me.

I think JNB would be an ideal new destination, but am sure Etihad and Emirates have hoovered up a lot of traffic to all points south and east. EI did at one stage fly to Dubai. Don’t know why it was axed.

Edited: Dublin Airport also has free unlimited wifi.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

I think EI attempted to introduce a route to CPT a few years ago but there was some issue with the pilots. Maybe that is different now so it could happen.

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Can’t seem them flying to JNB either non stop or via London.

Nonstop flights from London with BA (2 daily, sometimes 3), Virgin (1 daily) and SAA (2 daily), all the big European legacy carriers fly there bar Iberia (they used of offer exceptionally cheap business class tickets until they axed the route a few years ago) and Alitalia, plus all three Gulfies.

SimonS1 – I’m surprised you’re bemoaning a lack of capacity? I think you can still see a few old Nationwide rust buckets beside the runway at JNB, shame hey!!

openfly
    Participant

@FirstClassWannabe.
    I remember Globespan trying to operate a service DUB-MAN-CPT some years ago..Very much on a shoestring, but the flights were full.

@BusinessBabble

I think EI are well positioned to do a mini-Emirates….hubbing to the US, but also picking up a few other routes, such as JNB, on the back of a successful long-haul product.

TominScotland
    Participant

alexpo

Aer Lingus operated Dubai for a couple of years from March 2006 with very poor loads (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-suspends-dubai-route-in-favour-of-us-flights-26330310.html). The route was a terminator with no obvious onward connections. With their Etihad links and with EK also operating out of Dubin, there is no chance that this route will return.

For the same reason, I cannot see EI ever operating long-haul south or elsewhere east – Etihad covers all these bases and, of course, the reason for using EI west is pre-clearance which is not on offer to other destinations.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls