Advice please. China Southern, Hainan or Sichuan Airlines business long haul?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

I have a trip to Shenzhen area next month and although I habitually fly to HKG then ferry to Shenzhen, fares on CX, BA and most EU carriers in J are very high and so I am considering the above airlines as an alternative.

Any advice gratefully received.

cwoodward
    Participant

All offer a very similar overall experience but Hainan is unreliable.
    The experience will not be as pleasant overall as with the airlines that you mention though as more or less you get what you pay for.

If long-haul from Europe I would not fly with ether of these Chinese airlines if i could even just afford not to.

stevescoots
    Participant

I fly into HKG very month and cross the border to SZ, yes fares are eye watering in the main. i have found AY to be the better costs, still well over 3K tho from LHR. I too however prefer to do that than fly CZ etc into Cn direct

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks both for your comments. I also prefer BA or CX and have BA LTG. When I was doing the monthly UK HKG commute I also had CX Diamond and VS Gold. Now only BA.

I looked again at Hainan and can see that they have Skytrax 5 star rating alongside CX, SQ, QR and other famous names. I can understand that Sichuan are a questionable choice, but surely Hainan are OK? Their seats and layout seem good.

I am not originating in the UK, unless that is the best option, so any major EU city is good for me. I can see that Hainan seem to concentrate on Italy ( MXP & FCO) or BRU.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Skytrax 5* eh? I’m not sure I would entirely rely on that….

4 users thanked author for this post.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Airlines pay Skytrax for the ratings. Remember LH getting 5* in 2018 for a business class that is yet to see the light of day?

Anyway, i don’t know what your exact dates are but a random check on google flights from MXP-HKG from 8.-16.11.23 on Austrian via VIE, PVG and back Via BKK, VIE is showing me around €2150. Total flight times about 18hrs each way.

From OSL Qatar will take you to HKG for about €2500.
    From BRU i see flights with AF/KL from about €2400. It all depends on your preferred dates.

Play with the dates and i think you’ll find something decent. If you insist on the carriers you’ve mentioned, then probably China Southern.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls