Advice on Lufthansa Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

I’m thinking of booking UK to Hong Kong in Lufthansa Business cabin. Is the product good? Any comment would be welcome.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Montysaurus- To enable readers to assist you further it would be helpful if you are inform us whether flying Lufthansa from FRA or MUC to HKG.

I say that because the aircraft used from FRA is an Airbus A340-600 while, from MUC, Lufthansa operates the A380.

Please bear in mind that these aircraft types *may* change in the winter schedules. The latter take effect from end October.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Thanks Alex. The fares I have been given are out from FRA and back to MUC but I would do FRA-HKG-FRA.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Montysaurus – I would provide feedback if I could but I’ve never flown Lufthansa business class long-haul.

On the A340-600 Lufthansa positions business class immediately behind the small first class section.

On the A380 you will find business class behind first class on the upper deck. The A380’s lower deck is given over to premium economy and normal economy.

Hopefully one of our readers can provide more information than myself.

Jimmer7
    Participant

There is a 747-900 flight from FRK to HGK I believe which I’ve been looking at as option for March next year to HKG. Back via MUC on the A380.

With regards to Lufthansa I’ve always considered them to have a pretty good business class product after all they are the only European 5 star rated airline. The only real point is their seat layout which isn’t exactly private if you are a single traveller. Upstairs on the 747 is still a great option.
    Have you considered Swiss Airlines as their deals to HKG are slightly better at present and the business class layout maybe more favourable for a single traveller? It does lack room in my opinion though.
    If you want to fly via FRK by far the best option is Cathay though as for some reason flights CX288 & CX289 on the 777 are about 1900 euros which is a great price compared to the ridiculously overpriced Heathrow flights.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Montysaurus, I have traveled LH Business class several times and find the product to be very good, though not as good as EK on their 380.
    The seats are now config’d 2+2+2 on both aircraft, an improvement on the 2+3+2 of before.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, the crew are friendly even if a bit Teutonic, the food is good and the lounges are good, better than EK I think and of course it’s direct so no midnight shuffle in Dubai.

capetonianm
    Participant

I used to travel LH more than any other airline until about 8 years ago, mostly long haul, business class, world wide, to the extent that at one point I had ‘Senator’ status, the only real value was 40kgs baggage allowance which allowed me to carry a couple of cases of wine from CPT quite regularly.

I found the airline typically German, efficient, functional, punctual and reliable, and I felt very safe. The grey and yellow colour scheme was dull and monotonous, the food rarely varied and was good but never matched the mouthwatering descriptions on the menu, and the selection of wines was nothing special, with, understandably, a lot of emphasis on German wines, which I never found that great, but often there would be some excellent wines from the New World.

The cabin crew did what they had to do with Teutonic efficiency and were always helpful, but rarely showed any humour or real warmth. I can only remember one incident when a member of CC was unhelpful and obnoxious, when I went to the galley during the night to ask for a bottle of water and you’d have thought I’d asked him to kiss my feet. When I complained about his attitude he told me I had a problem with Germans! (Completely untrue ….. and I speak German).

I flew CPT FRA about a year ago in C on a 340 and found it pretty much as above, nothing really changed, and the IFE was dire, but then as has been said : “A German joke is no laughing matter.”

They sometimes offer some excellent fares, and after LX and KL, would be my third choice for C class longhaul.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

LH business is very comfortable, it’s not as flashy as some but very efficient.In my opinion Muc is a far better airport to transit that Fra.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=872041]The cabin crew did what they had to do with Teutonic efficiency and were always helpful, but rarely showed any humour or real warmth[/quote]

Capetonianm – i enjoyed your description which is spot on based on my experiences. Except for the humourless aspect. I’ve met some great LH crew who were great fun but usually because they knew how to laugh at themselves.

[quote quote=872041]the food rarely varied and was good but never matched the mouthwatering descriptions on the menu[/quote]

Beautifully put!

Swissdiver
    Participant

FRA being the worse hub in Europe, I haven’t used it lately. That said, the LF business class product is all right, but no more. Avoid the seats in V is travelling alone as your feet might be in contact with your neighbours… I would without hesitation though prefer BA, AF or even Swiss for that trip…

Montysaurus
    Participant

Many thanks for all your advice.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=872261]FRA being the worse hub in Europe, I haven’t used it lately. That said, the LF business class product is all right, but no more. Avoid the seats in V is travelling alone as your feet might be in contact with your neighbours… I would without hesitation though prefer BA, AF or even Swiss for that trip…[/quote]

Yes, and I think Swiss are now using their new 777 to HKG.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls