Accra and Lome – Ethiopian Airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

jonathanmiller
    Participant

I have just returned from Accra (BA) via London. My next trip in that direction must take in Lome, Togo either on the way to Accra or on the way back. Ethiopian Airlines has been suggested to me. Does anyone have any views or commentary please? Thanks. Jonathan

travelworld
    Participant

I flew LHR- Addis (return) on Ethiopian (in business) on a BMI codeshare ticket. Absolutely dreadful- ancient and worn out 767 (ET are suffering owing to Dreamliner delivery delays) and service haphazard- well meaning, but dire. Avoid if you possibly can.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

TW – many thanks. Rather what I anticipated and feared.

Does anyone have any views on an appropriate way to fly ACC-LFW (and I don’t mean a low-flying taxi – 8 hrs by road) and indeed LFW-LON? Or, of course, the first two legs of LON-LFW-ACC-LON. Thanks a bunch.

Potakas
    Participant

Jonathan,

Does this one works for you better? I couldn’t find anything better.. but you can get an idea, the main problem is the LFW-ACC but is only 45 minutes flight and is served only by Ethiopian (codeshare from Asky (never heard)).

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180453_10150118903683329_679943328_5971971_3960315_n.jpg

Regards

EDIT

On the first connection at CDG there is a layover of 39 hours but i believe it is just because I chose the cheapest with Air France.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

PS – brilliant. Thanks a lot. Asky? Apparently a subsidiary of Ethiopian. http://www.flyasky.com/asky/. Seems to be a Dash-8 LFW-ACC. OK by me! Only 45 minutes, as you wisely observe. Tks again. V helpful.

Potakas
    Participant

Yes you are correct, i just google them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASKY_Airlines

At least they have young fleet 5.1 years (leased from Ethiopian 😀 )

Potakas
    Participant

If you need extra help to find the same ticket for your specific dates post them and I’ll give you the details in order to book it (fare structure and others so that you can have one ticket).

I believe that will be very expensive to book those flights separately so you are gonna need those.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Thanks again (got the edit, too). Jonathan

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Hi PS. That’s a very generous offer. You’re dead right. I started looking around the airlines’ websites, and the cost of the unbundled fare is simply enormous. I would be most grateful for your wisdom and the said details. You are very kind to me. JM

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Jonathan, KLM fly AMS-LFW. I have used the flight quite often and it is very good, though only 3 x a week.

I believe the two airlines serving this route (ACC – LFW) are Nigeria Airways and Ivory coast Airlines. I used to use the nigeria airways flight (and I’m still alive to tell the tale) and it was very good and comfortable – though things may have changed. I guess Ivory Coast Airlines will be a bit hit and miss with the current situation.

Why don’t you go by taxi? I’ve also done that, starting in Cotonou. It’s really not to bad, though the border crossing can be an adventure but it’s actually good fun.

Take some pens and/or cigarettes for gifts and you’ll sail through in no time. Note, gifts – not bribes – you don’t want to be arrested for corrupt practices on your return to the UK!!!!

To speed things up, take a taxi to either border, walk over, then take another taxi. If coming from Ghana, it is a very short distance from the border to the city, and taxi’s always drive past.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Pirate, very many thanks. Thatuis most helpful. I was rather quailing at the taxi option having met with a couple of people in Accra two had driven form Lome for the meeting – shadows of their former selves they were … and one of them is a gorgeous and quite forceful Togolese lady. Still … nothing ventured, I guess!

Bribes? Quite so – don’t want to have to report myself under POCA!

Potakas
    Participant

Hey Jonathan,

I am glad I helped you.

Don’t hesitate to ask any other info that you may need, usually to book such a complicated ticket you will need to contact a travel agent or AF-KLM and give them some details in order to help them how to find it (as this internary has also an Ethiopian flight I believe that you will need a travel agent).

If you call a travel agent and he/she cannot give you a reasonable price come back here and post your date details, the cabin you want so that I could check it again and provide you the fare structure and any other rules that apply to this booking. Many agents don’t know how to search and you have to give them specific details so that they can find what you are asking for.

Once for expample I was trying to book a complicated ticket (EDI-LHR-JFK-LHR-ATH-LHR-EDI), from ba.com I had a quote of 2000+pounds for economy and WT+ (WT+ for the LHR-JFK-LHR), then i called ba and they gave me the same price… Finally i called again and I gave them all those details and they booked this for 950 Euros (incl. 35 Euros offline fee and some extra taxes as I upgraded the WT+ to CW with miles)

I am searching my fares from http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
    and then I call them.

Regards

janrotterdam
    Participant

the best routing for Accra and Lome in one trip is to fly to Accra, do your business there and then rent a chauffered car and drive to the Togolese border (it is a 3-4 hour drive), cross the border and you are actually immediately in Lome (2-3 km from the border). You need to set up a car at the Togo side. Border crossing is straightforward. Tickets to/from Accra tend to be more price efficient (plus a choice of airlines). Lome does not have a lot of airlines flying there.
    You may also check schedules of Brussels Airlines and Kenya Airways.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Thank you Jan. That accords rather with LuganoPirate’s advice (though since I shall be travelling from Awutu, about one hour + the wrong side of Accra itself, the journey may be a fraction longer – 8 hours was the most recent experience Lome-Awutu,. apparently). Perhaps I shouldn’t take much luggage, then?! Can just see me lugging a huge case across the border! Fly back from Lome? Or return to Ghana for the flight back, do you think? Thing is, if this turns out as I hope, the trip will become a routine one for me (well, twice a year or so) so it would be good to establish a replicable route and pattern. Thanks again for your kind advice. Jonathan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls