Access to Free Healthcare in Europe: EHIC

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is not commonly understood that UK residents do not automatically get cover for Emergency treatment within the whole EU.

While travel insurance is essential, there may not be time to check cover and get authorisation in an emergency situation.

However, if you have an EHIC card, much emergency treatment can be covered on the NHS.

It is very easy to apply online and usually arrives within the week:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/About.aspx

Essential kit for those who regularly travel on the Continent.

NTarrant
    Participant

It is also much easier to have than the old E45 (was it?) where you had to apply every trip. Easy card to slip in the wallet.

Just a reminder to anyone travelling to Jersey that EHIC is not valid and there is now no reciprical agreement so you must have insurance

MarcusUK
    Participant

Very sensible awareness to raise…
    A colleague of mine became very ill suddenly whist at Schipol last year, & collapsed in the Airport. She awoke a few days later in an Amsterdam Hospital.
    One of the aspects that assisted much, was her carrying his EHIC IN his passport holder with travel documents, as well as her Amex travel insurance card. She was told, that if the EHIC card was not found, that some investigations such as CT scans, would have been delayed, until a payment source was identified!
    I am sure it is a better country than most to receive care, but others especially in Eastern Europe, it has greater weight to ensure you would be looked after, without hitches.
    Sometimes we forget here in the UK, that in many other countries, proof & identity is required to receive treatment.

In the US, some Hospitals wont treat or even resuscitate without an insurance or payment source being identified!
    Essential travel aspect to be raised…

VintageKrug
    Participant

It would be good for BT to feature an article on this issue, and perhaps the wider issue of receiving healthcare abroad and travel insurance.

It would be very interesting to interview a business traveller who perhaps experienced a serious injury while abroad, and learn any first hand tips about how to deal with such a situation.

While breaking a leg skiing is traumatic, at least it is likely one is with friends and family.

Business travellers could be alone in a similar situation, and access to the right support can be patchy at weekends/out of hours or in countries where communication is less comprehensive.

A checklist of tips would be appreciated!

MarcusUK
    Participant

I agree VK, an article would be interesting & useful.
    But a broader focus maybe…?

Many of us Travel on business alone long haul, & i am sure have our own methods & techniques of keeping our insurances alongside us if needed.

I am in Australia very often, for weeks at a time, where the reciprocal Healthcare agreement for UK passport holder (& some other agreed countries) operates. However, if you don’t go to the Medicare Office when you arrive & carry your( up to 3 month), slip, you will have to pay up front for all, & even if you were entitled to re-claim, you get back 40-60% only.

Coverage is patchy in many countries, & standards of many Hospitals varies. In Asia, the major cities have some International standard & accredited Hospitals, but not all. Here & for local Dr’s you are best to rely on the hopefully good Hotel (Concierge) or their local established links. It would always be advisable to be aware of any good facilities where you are to travel, should you need them.

Prescribed Pharmacy items are also sometimes buyable,( antibiotics High grade antihystamines) in Oman & Thailand without seeing a Dr.
    I keep mine listed for various destinations that are printed off for when i travel.
    Caution in carrying your own or purchased medicines also need to be highlighted. In Dubai, 320 UK over the counter items are prohibited to be carried in or in transit, without a prescription & Dr”s letter. these include items with Codeine cough remedies, Analgesics, even Melatonin.
    Some Business Travellers have been arrested & Jailed for not complying in the last couple of years. What you buy at LHR for yr cough, maybe prohibited to carry where you land!
    In Australia, Pseudophenadrine is banned (A de-congestant), as it is used in the illicit drug trade!

Certainly be resourceful to hear others tips & experiences…and help heighten awareness of this rarely discussed, but pertinent Health safety issue for all of us.

The FCO site is always excellent to advise pre-travel, for the carrying of medicines, standards of local Healthcare facilities, to ensure your Health safety. The carrying of medicines is especially complicated, EVEN if you transit a country’s airport!
    For my UK – Australia travel, that can mean 5 different countries / Customs & legislated rules to adhere to…as well as Security, in one through trip.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Worth a bump as people begin planning their summer jaunts to St. Tropez!

MarcusUK
    Participant

Colleague arrived in Australia 3 weeks ago, & had serious Neurological event.
    He was admitted to the ER then 2 weeks on the Nero Ward.

Luckily he was sensible, & with the Reciprocal Agreement with Medicare & the UK / NHS, he enrolled the afternoon he arrived.

This saved him the AUS $22,500 bill he would have had to pay had he not registered. Same for the EU.
    Have yr registrations done, & card in yr wallets

Insurers will not cover you if you don’t access & produce yr EU or Medicare card, as it is a clear requirement that you enable this for yr trips!

VintageKrug
    Participant

A timely bump to get this sorted before you jet off to Europe for some summer sun!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls