Abu Dhabi to Athens for Dh 1

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

It will be interesting if Wizz Air can succeed with its Abu Dhabi base.

Flights were originally supposed to start last October.

But the launch was postponed a couple of times.

Latest launch date is January 15 and the first flight will operate to Athens.

Gulf News reports that a limited number of tickets are on offer today and tomorrow (January 10 and January 11) for a one-way price of Dh 1.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/wizz-airs-latest-offer-fly-from-abu-dhabi-to-athens-for-dh1-1.1610264347039

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks for this

It should soon be possible (if it is not already) to do a modern-day Phileas Fogg with Around the World in Low Cost Airlines. I am not sure about the trans-Pacific leg(s) – Japanese start-up Zipair were reported to be planning TP routes but these were not identified – but that was pre-COVID. Once the links are there, it would be interesting to cost the full circuit and compare to established RTW fares.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Around the World on Low Cost Airlines – is that a comedy or a horror film?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1088356]Around the World on Low Cost Airlines – is that a comedy or a horror film?[/quote]

Could be an idea for a Friday Fun thread, we all post our ” ideal/ favoured” LCC RTW itinerary ….

If you can get an LCC from Asia to HNL or from NZ to HNL you’d manage it .

Back to this topic, Wizz Air basing itself outwith its own natural customer demographics seems to be not learning from Norwegian’s travails ?
    Doesn’t Abu Dhabi already have a LCC that’s more suited to the ME market ?

Montysaurus
    Participant

Airlines, like many organisations and individuals, never seem to learn from others experiences.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1088357]If you can get an LCC from Asia to HNL or from NZ to HNL you’d manage it .[/quote]

I realise we live in unusual times so aviation is not the same as before.

But pre-Covid Air Asia X was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Honolulu via Osaka. I am sure it held fifth-freedom rights for Osaka-Honolulu. Hawaii is a popular destination for Japanese.

SIA’s Scoot also operated Singapore-Osaka-Honolulu although it dropped the route some time before the pandemic.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088356]

Made me laugh, David!

I would not accept a free round-the-world ticket on Ryanair (if such a thing existed). No thanks (no offence, Mr Michael O’Leary, good luck with your airline)

1 user thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

[quote quote=1088357]Doesn’t Abu Dhabi already have a LCC that’s more suited to the ME market ?[/quote]

They have one starting soon which is a joint venture between EY and Air Arabia.
    Its all a bit strange as Wizz Abu Dhabi is partnered with some govt local outfit, so they are not going to be really competitors with this JV made between AD and Sharjah.

I think they are merely playing ‘musical chairs’ for the eventual unification of EY and EK (IMHO based at DWC and moving the AD/Dubai border a few kms north).

God knows they have a lost an absolute fortune with EY over the past 5 years due to some very stupid investments by that Aussie guy (Eur500 million in AZ to name but one), so a few more smaller investments do not really change anything.

They might finish that new airport terminal one day soon as well……………….maybe………

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here in Europe Wizzair tends to change its routes and airports regularly.

It believes in being flexible and moving capacity around so the UK boss told Nick Ferrari on LBC’s breakfast show a few months ago.

One wonders whether or not its Abu Dhabi operation adopts a similar approach.

jjlasne
    Participant

A tragi-comedy perhaps?

jjlasne
    Participant

The trans-pacific route might have been possible with Jetstar Airways flying from Melbourne and Sydney to Honolulu but it has been cancelled for now.

jjlasne
    Participant

This low-cost RTW comment reminds me of an article in the San Francisco Bay Guardian many years ago about a reporter travelling across the state of California – lengthwise which is much easier than crosswise – only using local transit/transport from point to point. You can imagine there were limitations like start/close times, service frequency and more importantly, long wait times at terminal stops/hubs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls