Aberdeen in BA Club nice….But

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

I was invited at short notice to a week in Scotland and sadly as Norwich to Aberdeen was £500 each way, I used some miles and treated myself to Club on a BA afternoon flight to Aberdeen. Check at the new Club check in was going to be easy until the printer failed and it took sometime to produce a checked baggage label, I did feel for the lovely check in agent. Then to ‘Fast Track’. So not fast, indeed I have only waited longer at Manchester. Maybe its always like this but as I didn’t have to empty anything in Aberdeen for check, why at LHR (Please advise?).

North Lounge was very busy about 12.30pm, very nice food offering but sandwiches have gone down hill. I forgot champagne is on request but had a nice glass of some promotional prosecco, not the same. Moved to the South Lounge which was almost as busy but bigger. I cannot get my BA App to work and neither did any of the BA staff either?

Boarding was an A gate was very cramped and I was almost on a flight to Munich confusion of group signs. Boarding was speedy for what seemed a full flight and 24 in Club, nice welcome and my coat for Scotland was hung up in the forward cupboard. I got 1A this time. No real delay and take off just about 10 mins late. After take off, menus! Nice touch. As the cabin was full drinks and food were served at the same time and as I heard the champagne popping I had a glass and a very nice afternoon tea with warm scones. Its very much an oil rig type of flight and they may have drunk the plane dry in the end. Nice chat with the crew who are not impressed with the new uniforms I think they look very cheap myself. Dreadful weather approach almost down before I saw the runway.

Baggage reclaim is as far as you can get from the exit and no priority for Club baggage and loads of baggage on this flight but not as much as the return!!

Lovely time in the Highlands and I returned to Aberdeen via the train from Leuchars such a lovely train ride, cab from Aberdeen as the train missed the connection to Dyce. I arrived to find check in was not open and the queues for both classes were horrendous. Club had 9 people with luggage like they were emigrating, the first person a gold card holder had a bike in a back sack thing. Economy had about 30 people in there queue. When check in opened another two people arrived in wheelchairs, shooters and 5 items of luggage to the side of the Club line (some kind of service?). Our Gold card was first to check in, he waited and waited, check in person was on the phone, a person stood behind her and did nothing. After 15 mins the poor Economy check guy asked a rather grumpy Gold to come over and then we had a Club with 3 x luggage and a shooter. After 30 minuets the Gold with bike was STILL there had not moved or anyone taken over check in! Appalling not BA I think but surely they had checked in the bike before! Later he was in the lounge complaining on the phone.

Security was a breeze nothing to be taken out of our bags at all, just my big coat! The lounge is very nice indeed not crowded and super views over the runway good food options indeed some sweet and savoury treats too like fudge! One of the best BA lounges I have visited in a long while.

Boarding was very easy and a walk to the plane in bright sunshine. The Blue one, plane that is. Very nice welcome by a young man and older crew member, his clip on tie did not work! Again my coat was taken and hung up, in 2A this time, 5 Golds at least this time. Push back was delayed by 20 mins, I presume LHR managing slots. We took off into the bright Scottish sunshine. Addressed by name by the young man and I took a glass of champagne, full drinks service before meals this time. I think no meus this time I forget, anyway I had a delicious beef and celeriac, cheese and a pudding that I enjoyed. Again perfect for a short flight, crew were around with drinks for the remainder of the flight. Nice chat with the crew, always nice to have time for that. Landed on time gate not available for a few minuets and luggage arrived priority first.

Fond memories of BMI, a lovely experience let down by handling agents in Aberdeen such a shame and on going not Fast Track at LHR.

5 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting @norbert2008. Sadly it’s all about cost cutting these days really. Whether it’s check in, lounges etc it’s the minimum possible they can get away with.

Oh for the BMI days.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I presume UK airports are all in the midst of installing the new equipment so some airports will be keep ’em in, whilst others will be get em out… at least until the end of the year.

cwoodward
    Participant

Why clip-on tie’s?
    Horrible dated unnecessary and just lazy thinking by management and trainers.
    Ah….

Flyboy18
    Participant

Clip on ties are there so if a crazy passengers grabs the tie…it’ll come off….simple.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I am inclined to ask -so what.
    It looks to me that all that happens if the tie is pulled downwards is that the knot becomes smaller -i.e. no damage to person
    Many airline cabin crew uniforms I believe are designed with ‘proper’ tie’s thus my criterium of the clip -on stands.

esselle
    Participant

Wasn’t aware they were worn by pilots. They are, though, uniform standard for police and prison guards.

cwoodward
    Participant

Some pilots and police I would say
    But very prominent in the UK uniformed government agencies as I recall.

david
    Participant

Flying can be a mixed bag, huh? Shame about the hiccups with check-in and baggage reclaim, but at least you got to enjoy some decent food and drinks. The train ride sounds lovely though.

DannyBoy
    Participant

A guy I occasionally train with at the gym does some part-time door work and other private security and has confirmed the situation with the clip on ties and you can source some good quality ones these days. The tie on the pull once released can easily be reversed on the attacker to disable them.

cwoodward
    Participant

It appears that the humble ‘clip-on’ could be approaching cult status !

red_robbo
    Participant

The knot may well become smaller and tighter, but when pulled, the wearer’s head will be pulled as well. With a clip-on, the tie will simply come off.
    Staff have the option of either a regular tie or a clip-on. Many feel safer with a clip-on, and many choose it because they can’t tie a proper windsor knot!
    I really don’t see that it’s an issue.

cwoodward
    Participant

I dont believe that a tie is normally worn on ones head thus rather a non issue for most

red_robbo
    Participant

So you think the head isn’t attached to the neck and won’t be pulled forward if the tie is yanked?
    Come on….

norbert2008
    Participant

Oh dear maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned the tie, he also showed me the apron is not tied either but on Velcro in case you miss out on the strangulation your stuffed there too!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls