AA/Iberia/BA AntiTrust Immunity to be Granted “Imminently”

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

The tie up between the three oneworld airlines AA/IB/BA which is dependent on US Anti-Trust Immunity should be announced in the next few days, if not today.

This will be an interesting development. Has BT heard anything?

This will certainly help the airlines involved compete with AF/klm and Lufthansa/Swiss in Europe and Delta/NW and United/Continental in the US. Not sure it will do much for the lowly consumer, though.

continentalclub
    Participant

Reuters reporting that permission has been granted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66D1CB20100714

Expect formal announcement shortly after lunch.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Prescient? Moi?

Lucky I am Willie Walsh’s brother, isn’t it… 😉

http://tiny.cc/3vuso

We’ve just received formal confirmation from BA, of EU approval both for the Iberia merger, and the joint venture tie-up with AA and Iberia.

There’s also a comment from Sir Richard Branson on his opposition to the tie -up on this piece:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-gets-eu-approval-for-iberia-merger-and-joint

JordanD
    Participant

So we’ve got the EU saying yes to everything, the US saying yes to the BA/IB tie up. What’s exactly holding them up with regards the AA/BA/IB JV?

If memory serves me, did the joint venture not include Royal Jordanian and Malev/Finnair? Assume the EU signed off on this bit of the deal?

As for Sir Richard – he can go whistle. Have had enough of his constant grumblings. Let him go to FRA/CDG/AMS and try and take on the locals there.

Potakas
    Participant

Maybe my questions are a little bit of topic..

Everyone knows this one:

”British Airways Executive Club members will not earn or redeem miles or earn tier points on American Airlines transatlantic flights. BA miles and tier points may be earned though miles may not be redeemed on all British Airways codeshare services operated by American Airlines when the booking is made under the BA code.”

Can i assume that when the AntiTrust immunity is ok this thing will stop? And secondly why Iberia’s FFPs haven’t this issue?

Regards

Potakas

VintageKrug
    Participant

The date “reciprocity of mileage earn/burn” between AA and BA on USA-UK will end should be October 2010.

It is not clear to me whether that is on all routes, or just some of the key routes set out in the BA press release. It would be interesting for BT to clarify this.

“The three carriers agreed to cede some landing and take-off slots for routes from London to Dallas, London to Boston, London to Miami and London to New York.

Other concessions include allowing access to their frequent-flyer programmes on those routes and submitting data on their cooperation plan to the Commission.”

giochi1
    Participant

Hi

Does anyone have details of the plans to merge the BA Executive Club and the Iberia plus programs? I assume that the programs will be merged at the same time that BA and Iberia merge, but unfortunately have not found any such details.

Regards

continentalclub
    Participant

My understanding is that, at this stage, there are no plans to merge the Executive Club and Iberia Plus, just as the respective sponsor airline brands will remain unchanged.

The strategy proposed does not appear to analagous to Flying Blue, nor to Miles & More.

What does seem more likely, in the short term, is that some of the restrictions which have previously been placed (particularly) upon British Airways Executive Club and American Airlines AAdvantage members in terms of earning and redeeming miles on the relevant other airline’s Transatlantic services will be removed.

Plans may of course change and, in the absence of specific announcements from BA regarding their future plans for the Execuitve Club, the company will always retain an element of flexibility; however I would personally expect very little to change from FFP members’ points of view for some time to come.

Potakas
    Participant

Giochi1 i believe that the most of the details are in this topic:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA-Investor-Day-Presentation-21-May-2010

Try the fifth post where VK gives a link for a pdf.

This .pdf has many info.

Regards

Potakas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls