AA Large order for new narrow bodies

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

pomerol
    Participant

This very large order is split between Boeing and Airbus, but I suspect it is Airbus that is much the happier.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/07/20/359710/boeing-promises-re-engined-737.html

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fact is Airbus is building the better planes. The re-engined A320neo has proven to be a real hit with the airlines delivering more efficiency and more fuel economy. Boeing cannot do the same with the 737 so may have to design a complete new plane in order to compete.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@LP: Airbus is NOT building better planes. But they bid extremely aggressively. A330s and A340s are just terrible and by no mean can be compared to B777 and the A380 program will hardly be profitable.

Regarding narrow bodies aircrafts, Boeing was probably a bit too much on a wait and see stance and have now to react extremely fast, what they are doing. Clearly the AA mixed order is a blow for them.

pomerol
    Participant

Swissdiver

Airbus may just be building better planes.

For a major American Airline to place an order for a majority of Airbus single isle aircraft ever placed, is most significant, and in my opinion a serious and most optimistic view that we can hold

dutchyankee
    Participant

Pomerol,

I tend to agree regarding the A320 series versus the 737, but when it comes to wide-bodies, Boeing is superior. The American Airlines order, irrespective of all the speculation was always bound to be split. With the huge backlog of orders at both Boeing and Airbus for their narrow body aircraft, this was the only way for AA to secure delivery positions at a reasonable interval. Having a large 737-800 fleet already makes the order for the 737 logical, and the newly launched A320 Neo as an equally logical fleet-mate. United and USAirways both have very sizeable Airbus fleets, especially of the A320 family. Whilst I am a dual US and European citizen, I am glad the US federal government steers clear of pushing US carriers to buy only from Boeing, however, with the strength of the Euro, Boeing does often have the edge for US business. I can only imagine Airbus had to give a hefty discount (rumored to be 70% but denied by Airbus) to secure this order and rub it in the face of Boeing on Boeing’s home turf.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls