A350’a accelerated rate of fuselage surface degradation

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

“Concerns surrounding the accelerated rate of fuselage surface degradation”: gosh, not quite reassuring, particularly if we consider how recent are these aircrafts (first commercial flight for the A350-1000 took place just 3 years ago)! I guess the EASA (EU Aviation Safety Agency) might be biased on this topic. Let’s see what the US counterpart says.
    https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2021/08/06/qatar-airways-grounds-13-a350-aircraft-over-fuselage-concerns/?unapproved=74046&moderation-hash=b31722bcaca60cd284d607829cecf3f7#comment-74046

cwoodward
    Participant

This is something of a beat-up story from what I am given to understand.
    The ‘cracks’ dispute are being published to anyone that will listen by Qatar to give leverage to a long running contractual dispute with Airbus re the cancelation of some huge orders for the aircraft that Qatar wants to force Airbus to agree to.

The ‘cracks’ it seems have been investigated for the past many months and have been confirmed to be very superficial on an outer surface skin designed to receive the decorative paint required by Qatar and not involving the main body construction of the aircraft – this finding has been confirmed after testing by several industry qualified bodies. No safety issues found per all qualified reports that I can find.

A heaven sent opportunity for Boeing of course who no doubt have mobilised resources to make the most of the conflict. Certifying bodies seem, from all reports to have little or no interest.

9 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

So many other airlines are operating all versions of A350 since 5-6 years. And only Qatar airline has problems?

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls