A UK Visit of less than 24 hours

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I may be faced with such a trip next week to the UK from Spain arriving midday/early afternoon on one day and leaving early morning the next day. How do I accommodate a day 2 pcr test if I am in the UK for 24 hours or less? Any thoughts?

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

Cant you get away with the lateral flow tests now? If so its easy self application and register with the NHS I did it every time I visited my mum in her home? Good luck!

Johnnyg
    Participant

[postquote quote=1113802]

Funnily enough I found this for a friend earlier tonight, does it help. It is from the Connexion French news and views. Dated today.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Practical/Your-Questions/France-to-UK-travel-Do-I-need-to-buy-Day-2-Covid-test-for-a-day-trip

Swissdiver
    Participant

I face a similar situation. My take is I have to book a test … not to take it as in day 2, I will have left the country!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

JohnnyG , yes thank you

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

KIngston, the lateral flow comes in towards/at the end of October

Helen
    Participant

The last time I did this I was able to claim the exemption for transiting landside within 24 hours. When the PLF asks “What are your plans?” reply “Stay in UK”. At the question “Are you required to book a COVID-19 test package” reply “No” and claim the 24-hour transit exemption. The PLF is then generated without the need to buy a day 2 test. Proof of onward travel arrangements may have to be shown at the border (but wasn’t in my case).

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What I would do if forced to buy a day 2 test which was then unused (for allowable reasons) is to re use the code and use the test the next time I needed to complete a UK entry locator form.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Helen has it right.

You can claim ‘exempt’ on the Locator Form if you have a flight out of the UK within 24 hours. No need to book a test.

You can go landside, as I did twice recently connecting to a Finnair flight, so you can book a hotel for the night. AY requires proof of vaccination, but no test.

In my case, both times at check-in for the flight to the UK I was asked to show proof of an onward booking.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I guess Helen’s solution works for a 24 hours exception, and not for 30 hours…

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

As it turned out the emergency trip was not necessary but the information was nonetheless useful for which I thank all the contributors

SimonS1
    Participant

One other angle on this. The day 2 test is actually on or before 2 days.

I’ve done this 3 times in the last month and taken the test immediately on landing. Logistically much easier and you have to pay regardless. I believe we move to lateral flows from today.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114537]

Yes lateral flow replaces PCR for returning people, as from yesterday Oct 24th, unless a lateral flow test shows positive then you need a PCR test. Did you get the test at the airport as there was talk about providing tests at airports, or have I misread/misunderstood that?

maxgeorge
    Participant

I’ve used ExpressTest at LHR T3, right outside Arrivals, on the forecourt. They have other Heathrow locations. Efficient, reliable.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114537]

That is if you have to do it anyway… But I’d rather skip it since I’ll be out of the country after 30ish hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls