A second runway for London Gatwick submission made yesterday

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

The application “a Development Consent Order (DCO)’ – to the Planning Inspectorate (PINS) on yesterday.
    If approved the unused and existing ‘northern runway’ would be reconfigured to allow full use as a second runway. It is estimated that 14000 extra jobs would be created
    The approval process is expected to take around one year, and would then go to the UK’s Transport Secretary for final approval.
    Hopes of approval this time around would seem to be high.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Great news, and the speed whilst still painfully slow, is a sprint compared to LHR.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Clay'
    Participant

Tbh most of the work, on the apron, reconfiguring of standard & rapid taxiways etc has been done, and for sometime now. The outward appearance has been intelligently managed but aside from remarking the emergency runway, installing lights in a new configuration and marking aforementioned taxiways for a dual runway operation the place is good to go on the most part.

Yes there is still substantial works to be undertaken but they’ve been quietly beavering away for a couple years now. Imho the date to bring the airport into a 2 runway installation is more done to obfuscate just how much has already been achieved – at, comparably, zero cost to the tax payer & projected public purse exposure to be as good as negligible in comparison to LHRs drawing board costings which nobody in their right mind will be anywhere near accurate in either cost or timescales. ( Of course i’am asserting all this based on simplified versions of both projects for the sake of brevity but the overall factors remain fairly static).

I’ll leave the whys and wheres as to why LHR got the nod ahead of LGW aside as that ( as most of us know) is a complex and multifaceted minefield of its own! But putting legal challenges, pathing approval and implementation ( which would substantially less complex in LGWs case as they technically exist already just on an either/or basis) aside. I’d feel happy laying down a sizeable wedge on Gatters being able to fully complete and be at full operational status before a sq foot of top level tarmac on the 3rd runway is laid

NOTE: I am not employed by GAL, it’s agents or partners in any capacity The above is based on personal knowledge and given solely as my own personal opinion

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls