A point of interest/curiosity

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• Anonymous

BABenji
    Participant

I have read recently on thebasource.com of European configuration 767’s being deployed on the Dubai and Jeddah routes.

What would the compensation situation be under these circumstances? Given that the DXB &JED route in question is ordinarily served using a 767 there are no F passengers to impact, but there is of course the J, W and even Y passengers to consider. None of the passengers would have access to AVOD, W passengers, even if “upgraded” to J would be pretty miffed I would imagine, as it is hardly an upgrade, and the J passengers would be going potty…..especially considering that the Jeddah flight is a night departure.

Would BA be legally obliged to provide compensation as mandated? Or is the fact that there is a clear distinction between the classes sufficient? I would imagine that the agreed contract for Club World and the delivery of a Club Europe service would have some bearing?

I would suspect some recompense as goodwill would surely be in the offing? If having to put up with crappy Club Europe on an overnight flight to Jeddah isn’t worthy of some serious amounts of BA Miles then I don’t know what is!?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

BABenji

BA general conditions say

“9b2) These measures may, in exceptional circumstances and if necessary to prevent a flight being cancelled, include arranging for a flight to be operated:

by another aircraft
    by another airline or
    by both.”

So I think they can substitute an aircraft in this way.

Having said that and as a result of hearing of this action, I have today booked J to JED using Lufthansa, instead of BA. If they wish to treat pax this way, then all one can do is vote with one’s feet.

JordanD
    Participant

Each to their own, Disgusted. At least BA is attempting to operate the service rather than cancel outright. From what I’m lead to believe through a number of online sites, these aircraft substitutions are an attempt to keep the flying programme going when aircraft have had technical issues.

BABenji – from various comments I have previously read on FlyerTalk, there is some compensation based on a percentage of the fare paid, in reflection that both J and W service is not as advertised. Not sure about Y on that route as the bulk of commentary has been about J and W passengers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’d aim for 75% of fare in compensation.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Seems BA have been doing a lot of cancellations to/from f LCY on their Club World LCY route over the last few days.

I can understand the fog at LCY preventing landing of the inbound aircraft but they could of repositioned the craft or operated flights from LGW instead rather than cancelling them then flying one empty across the Atlantic

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Jordan

I am not concerned about what issues BA has, I need to arrive in Jeddah ready for an intense three days and that means getting some sleep overnight, which I certainly would not be able to achieve in a CE seat.

Compensation post hoc is absolutely no use, I am a business traveller, not a tourist.

BABenji
    Participant

75% of the fare is pretty hefty, but not unreasonable. Is this a goodwill gesture or is it legislation driven, given that “business class” is still offered?

While seemingly rare, it nevertheless puts an element of doubt in the back of the mind which must be off-putting; indeed we already have a case study in DoS!

I’m booked LHR-DXB-LHR in January and although not on BA 104, the story was enough to make me double check with a view to considering my options if there was a chance I would be affected.

JordanD
    Participant

Disgusted – if you are so concerned at getting there in the right state of mind to do business, you should travel in advance and give yourself plenty of time. After all, Lufthansa do cancel flights – but then I trust you won’t complain about that, seeing as they aren’t BA.

Swindoneric
    Participant

Exactly the same thing happened to me with Lufthansa en route to Tel Aviv. The long haul configured A340 was substituted for an old European configured A300. I wrote a letter of complaint and was refused any compensation whatsoever – the response was very much that the airline has the right to substitute equipment for any reason.

Binman62
    Participant

Substituting short haul 767 on to routes served usually by long haul aircraft is common by BA. TLV was frequently downgraded in this way some years ago and it went on for months and months. I have not flown the route for while so no idea if it still going on. They did pay compensation but it was nothing like 75% of the fare.
    BA does this when they operate on routes where there is little direct competition and where they can abuse their competitive position. It is just business really but pretty short sighted.
    I would rather choose Saudia than accept a seat on a clapped out and filthy BA767 in a short haul config for such a flight. They may not have alcohol on board but the service and comfort in the premium classes would be far in excess of anything found on that aircraft type given that is at least 6 hours. Frankly cancellation and rerouting would be more humane!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Jordan

With the very greatest of respect, why don’t you mind your own business and I’ll mind mine?

You seem to have an emotional attachment to BA, whereas I have no emotional connection to any airline, they are just suppliers of a service that I need to buy.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Binman

Agreed. I’ve flown Saudi a few times and they are okay, especially the new fleets. The seat is what I pay for, at the end of the day, on these longer sectors.

Swindoneric

Sorry to hear of your experience, that is bad behaviour by LH and it does not frankly surprise me so much, there are few airlines I’ve travelled over the years who really make me wish to espuse thier virtues.

All one can try to do is keep one’s ear to the ground and reduce the probability as much as possible.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“9b2) These measures may, in exceptional circumstances and if necessary to prevent a flight being cancelled, include arranging for a flight to be operated:”

From the original post, is the European config 767 permanent or semi permanent? There is a difference in an aircraft being substituted late due to the scheduled one going tech and an aircraft change on a permanent or semi permanent basis.

Good luck with the compo claim.

RichHI1
    Participant

If you have a business class ticket and they provide a business class seat then I suspect you are not entitled to any compensation even if there is no IFE, reduced meal service, sit up and beg seats even an extra fuel stop (subject to EU delay legislation).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls