A cautionary tale – KLM

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Edski777
    Participant

After all a pretty impressive way to deal with the situation by KLM. You obviously complained to them, they tried to call you, sent an email after the calll failed, got an apology, an explanation, your money back, 10.000 miles and flew business class for free.

Way better than what most people get on this forum after a complaint.

And all this because you didn’t get a lousy sandwich or salad? In this day and age of airtravel I would be pretty happy.

Ahmad
    Participant

I would not call this an apology, despite the profusely apologetic tone in the beginning. It was merely an explanation. KLM certainly did much more than most airlines would but it is still far from perfect in the circumstances. I would never upgrade by paying (cash or miles) only to suffer the indignity of being treated as a less entitled passenger. Had the meal situation been explained to me in advance (as has been the case on many airlines when I have upgraded at the last moment or just turned up at the airport with a full fare ticket and wanted to fly first or even business sometimes) I would have accepted it and would certainly not have been told off by the cabin crew. In such instances, I have always been discreetly told by the server or supervisor that they will try and accommodate me if meals become available because a passenger has decided not to eat. Invariably, at the gate I have had to sign a waiver that I have voluntarily declined the meal service. I suppose they do it to avoid liability later. All other aspects of the service have always been the same as other passengers.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I’m with Edski here. KLM explained this was a ground crew failure – no evidence from other posters that this was untrue so I will take that as face value – and have apologised (and not just by email, they clearly tried to contact you person-to-person, which IME is rare in the airline industry), refunded what you paid, and given you a chunk of miles. I think most people would (and should) be pretty happy with that outcome

Ahmad
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG, perhaps my expectations are too high in the matter of getting what I have paid for, based on representations made by the seller.

dutchyankee
    Participant

While I am not a fan of KLM, and even though I live near the border with the Netherlands, I do my utmost to avoid flying them, I must say this approach and response from them has been excellent. Full refund of the upgrade, plus 10,000 miles. And it would have been done with a personal phone call. This is very good service recovery, and not something you would see from most other carriers. Compared to the response I had from Brussels Airlines/Lufthansa Code Share for a complaint whilst on a full fare business ticket for a more serious matter (IMHO) was a brusque email and 2000 miles. So compliments to KLM.

NNoah16
    Participant

Indeed AMcWhirter

Another quirk is that SWISS block off the middle seat of the 3 seats in their AVRO fleet but do not on the 2 seats

I think its a pretty good outcome from KLM.

dutchyankee
    Participant

On Lufthansa they block one of the seats on a twin set on all their aircraft, as do Austrian, even on the Dash8.F70 and F100.

JeremyWood
    Participant

Personal Opinion, based on numerous ABZ-AMS-XXX short hauls on KLM is that the Economy Comfort option is worth paying the few extra Pounds/Euros fro, but not the offered Business Class upgrade.
    Economy comfort benefits on both B373 and Embraer aircraft.

judynagy
    Participant

OMG, a beautiful example of the sales department being ambushed by the ops department. Any flight I’ve ever been on has a meal for everyone in the front cabin. If there are empty seats, the crew gets the meal. For an airline to take the risk of insulting a good customer is really poor management. Insulting one who PAID for the upgrade is even worse. Sales wants you to be a loyal KLM flyer but Ops ruins it all with such a mean-spirited procedure. Of course, the crew could have made a HUGE difference here, but they couldn’t be bothered to attempt to make you happy. Last time I paid for an upgrade was an early morning 1-hour flight and the coffee maker was broken – never again!

MarcusUK
    Participant

As indicated before, KLM do respond (unlike AF if you get put through to them!).
    Pleased you got a good outcome, they are very fair if you have a reasonable complaint, and genuinely use direct contact, and recompense.
    Again i would upgrade on a 737, but in all fairness these days if you are a FFP members, it is the space and the Economy Comfort Zone for £6 + for a European flight.

I agree though, without earning the miles for a Business upgrade, and on the Fokkers and Embraer’s tight seating capacity, would not choose these aircraft unless it was in the EC zone.

It seems BA have abolished this anyhow according to other BT readers, so KLM at least off this within Europe still.

A Good and fair outcome on both sides, representing KLM well.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls