90% discount on Microsoft software and its legal……..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

During my travels I have never been tempted by the computer malls in Asia to buy “Microsoft” software at greatly discounted prices, instead repsecting that the cost of the proper license is just the cost of keeping a proper and correct IT protocol.

So this week during my travels in the US I needed a new computer + Microsift Office 2010. I check the specks and software requirements before coming to the perfect machine.

Naturally, having a 14 year son, he takes an active interest in this and notes the spec and makes me a deal.

“If I save you £300, will you make a contribution to my new putter fund”? he inquired.

I checked and rechecked the spec and accepted the challenge.

Microsoft Office 2010, retails for around £420. However, you are able to buy a license, which is valid for life (so not OEM) though an Academic programme, under certain conditions, as long as the school / college is recognised by Microsoft and you abide by certain conditions re usage.

The cost of the license, £35 for EXACTLY THE SAME SOFTWARE.

In addition, there are a range of other professional quality softwares available at less the 90% of retail.

I have checked with my legal team about these licenses and it appears that if I partition part of the computer for use by my son, I am able to purchase and use this software.

Does anyone else know the basis for these cheap offers for Academics and how close to the line can people go.

This is not a 10% off cost offer, this is a 90% off cost offer.

I would be very interested to hear some views on this.

Taking up the challenge,

First.Class.Please
    Participant

Hi Martyn.

Microsoft also run a “Home Use Program” for companies that have a “Volume Licensing Agreement” with many PC`s running Microsoft for Employees to purchase.

I got Office Professional Plus for $9.95 through this scheme.

No idea the MRRP in stores, but i`m sure i got a deal !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

IThank you very much First.Class.Please – it does m wonder how on earth Microsoft are able to charge one set of customers over 10 times the cost than other customers for essentially the same piece of kit. Is there not a law against this.

I really dont understand why people are attracted to the dodgy Asian copies when legit software is available for prices for less that the dodgy and unlicensed software in Asia.

There has to be a catch somewhere………………………….

MRRP for Office 10 Pro in the UK is over £400 sterling, thats USD$ 550 min.

Travellator
    Participant

Martyn

Not as cheap as your deal but you can buy Office Home and Student for £ 90 in the UK inc VAT. You dont have to prove you are a student or partition your PC – it includes 3 licenses. Has word excel and powerpoint as well as one note. http://www.misco.co.uk

VintageKrug
    Participant

Many firms offer a similar deal for employees’ home use. Often even less expensive than £35.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Martyn,
    Take a look at

http://www.software4students.co.uk

I purchased from them when doing some mature student pg studies, they are genuine and ethical so no worries there.

They didn’t offer upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 and was reluctant to buy the Win 7 heavily discounted as by then was no longer studying.

There is a contact us tab enabling you to get a definitive answer.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

A word of caution with the Home User Program agreements between Microsoft and organisations – they can end, rendering the licences purchased during the period of the agreement invalid. This happened with the NHS employee HUP, which at the time offered 3 Office 2007 licences for about £9. Microsoft instructs that these must now be uninstalled.

No doubt this possibility is in the 20 pages of small print to which we automatically tick Accept. One for your legal team Martyn! I can’t think of any other type of purchase where you might subsequently have to effectively give the item back to the manufacturer in future if conditions change. Imagine a pub landlord saying that the happy hour has been stopped, so you owe the difference in price on all those drinks you bought…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks all for your comments. Jim, I have certainly taken note of your comments. However, my inital chat with one of my firms contracts department was that they would not pass comment. I have also asked an American friend who works on the sales side for one of the large aircraft mfg’s on the basis he is American, Attorney and well versed in contrat law. His official comment was a large grin with a “if you can get away with this sort of marketing good luck to you”.

My interest, if you can call it that is why should the big companies or even small professional firms, suffer such a large price differential.

Staff discounts are one thing but taking a look at Software for Students and the vast number of licenses which are available, this must surely question, whether firms like Microsoft are overcharging in the first place.

Or am I wrong in thinking that if you can get away with charging 1000% more for a product than its actually valued, there’s nothing unethical, becuase all sales are market driven?

I will certainly be thinking twice next time I need any new software and yes I have followed my sons advice, we are off to Golf Galaxy this afternoon to buy his new putter, having acheived a 90% discount on a new Microsoft Office 2010 software license.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Could this be a strategy for the Software companies for luring the students into using their programmes starting at a young age as they would grow up and continue using a familiar software in their professional life?

I know Microsoft have distributed a lot of low-cost software to students in China when they first entered the China market..

Capturing a greater market share and investing in their future (the company, not the students) may be the main reason behind this!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If Microsoft can discount so heavily, could it be interpreted that they are overcharging in the first place OR are companies allowed to charge what they want………………..as long as there is someone who is willing to pay that cost?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Martyn: I think it is a case of “a la tete du client”!

The Japanese have been coming to HK to buy European luxury goods for the last 2-3 decades and now we have the Mainland Chinese doing the same as there is big price difference between the different “markets”. This is perfectly legal.

The greatest example was I once had to rush back urgently from Addis Ababa to London and I got on the last economy class seat (no BIZ class at that time) and the two elderly British women sat next to me were telling me that they paid a lot less for a 1 week inclusive air/hotel package than my British Airways ONE-WAY ticket at published fare!!!!!!!!!! There was even enough saving from the fare difference for these two women taking a taxi home to Southhampton!

I was in my early teens and I have never forgotten that I was milked! Nor did my father who was paying for it.

stevescoots
    Participant

MS have offered the deal for about 3 years, I “took advantage” of it when my son was studying his A levels.

yep, its a sales ploy to get students used to MS products then carry that into the workplace. no diffrent to hardware producers, materials suppliers etc all offering services to Uni’s. I see it all the time, engineers unconciously go back to thier materials used in study when designing products.

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

One of the reasons the licences are much cheaper for students and home users is that it gives one licence only, i.e. it can only be installed on one machine at a time. Very often the software one buys commerically will have 2 or 3 licences for the whole household. It doesn’t account for the entire differential but is a part of it.

For the record, you may also be able to blag yourself a student discount on hardware too. Apple give approx 10-15% off their laptops, and I believe others may do too. It could save you having to wait for your next business trip in anticipation of purchasing hardware at a discount (and suffering non-standard power adapters and keyboards!)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks everyone for advice. My sons school is names on the schools list, so I have just saved over £350 on Office 10 and with my wife enrolled at college, she too is able to obtain a discount.

For the sake of ensuring the license is bought correctly, I have created a folder for my sons use on the computer.

I know apple offer student dicounts of 10 – 15%.

I fully agree with giving students discounts, the banks have offered free banking for a long time. I just have difficulty with the prices Microsoft are selling some of their software, especially when offering 90% discounts to students. Its not exactly encouraging people to NOT to look for alternative and more cost effective sources for acquiring Microsoft products. The software is exactly the same, not a cut down version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls