Evacuation of BA0058 on stand (long!)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Anonymous

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Well, that was an interesting experience. BA0058, night flight (supposedly) to LHR, leaving Cape Town at 1945 on 15 April.

Boarded BA’s (elderly) Boeing 747 and took our seats (62A and 62B, CW, on the top deck), settled in, and then there was an announcement of a delay because the forward cargo door wasn’t closing.

So we shrugged and waited. The delay stretched to half an hour or so and I began to wonder about my connection to AMS. Then the pilot announced that there was an electrical glitch, and all power was going to be shut down to allow them to re-boot the system.

It’s instructive to know that “Turn it off and turn it on again” applies to B747s as well as crappy little Dell laptops.

Being seated where we were, we could see the cockpit, and the door was open and no fewer than three yellow-jacketed ground staff were crowded in. From the gist of what I could overhear, I deduced this wasn’t likely to be a quick fix.

The lights went out and the emergency lighting came on. And then an engineer came running, full tilt, into the cockpit. I turned to Mrs TOH and said: “When people run into cockpits, it’s never a good sign. We aren’t going to be flying.”

We overheard the conversation with some of the cabin staff, the confirmation that they had loudhailers and torches, and the relaying of instructions to abandon the aircraft, and I grabbed iPad and phone and ignored everything else.

And then, a moment later, the order came to leave the aircraft as fast as possible. “Don’t wait to put on your shoes, leave your luggage, walk as fast as possible to the exits.” The chutes weren’t deployed.

I have to hand it to the cabin crew – they were absolutely magnificent. Sure enough, some people tried to grab hand luggage, but they got us all off the plane with incredible speed, using just the emergency lighting and hand-held torches. Our steward said afterwards that they cleared the whole aircraft, a full load, in three minutes, using just the one forward door, the only means of boarding.

What got me was the slight delay immediately outside the door, in the gangway: a group of girls had congregated there, waiting for their mate(s), and were slowing things up. I just snapped (OK, shouted) at them: “MOVE! MOVE! People inside the plane can’t get out if you’re in the way here!” And I got a look of incredulity, and then they scurried up the gangway.

Some people don’t think.

So we all deplaned. I see on pprune that some say that strictly speaking, this wasn’t an ‘evacuation’ because the chutes were not deployed, and was a ‘non-event’. Well, if you were on my side of the fuselage, you’d have thought differently, and to hell with the minutiae.

It was bloody mayhem in Cape Town airport. Yours truly was the first to realise that this was going to be a long one, and headed straight for the BA lounge. Might as well have a drink (a maxim that has served me well over the decades). Others followed, and BA opened the lounge. Well done!

The cabin staff, some of them visibly a bit hyper, came in after a while and started chatting to and reassuring passengers. Again, I was immensely impressed. This is when these people earn their salt.

I asked one of the cabin crew: “Is this the first time you have had to do this?” It was, she confirmed, and added: “It’s really scary, because they don’t tell us what the problem is, they just tell us to get the passengers off as fast as possible. So we don’t really know what’s happening, but we get people off.” It’s nice to know the training works.

I understand that the plane was receiving no power either from the APU nor from the ground link, both of which were connected.

I reckoned that even if they fixed it, the flight crew would be outside their hours, and sure enough, after an hour or so this was confirmed, and we were told we’d be allowed back on the plane to collect our belongings, our luggage would be off-loaded, and we would be taken to a hotel. And the part(s) needed to repair the plane were at Jo’Burg anyway.

That was OK, but the chaos in the departure and baggage halls was amazing. We had to re-pass through immigration. OK. There were two people taking names for hotels, and demanding phone numbers from everyone. A number of people in First and CW were local residents and said they were simply going home. I’d have done that, too.

Interestingly, they were sorting out First and CW passengers (and those with small children or the infirm and damn right, too) first. There were plenty of people with Silver or Gold status who were in WT+ and WT, I think, who were miffed at being held back, and I have no idea how or where BA managed to put everyone else up.

The big problem was that the Customs bods had gone for the nights, and there was no way out of the baggage hall. All gates locked up. Eventually, some guy appeared and said he’d let through anyone who was resident in Cape Town.

That went down like a cold cup of sick, as you can imagine. The buses were waiting for us outside, and we were not going to wait for however long it took for the airport to contact the Customs officials, and bring them from their homes, wives, bars, games, wherever to the airport. We simply walked past the lone bod, who shrugged. Sound chap.

So we wound up in the Table Bay hotel, a stone’s throw from the Radisson where we’d just spent the previous 10 days. Very nice. Better than the Radisson, actually. Got into bed at 1.30am.

The flight was rescheduled for 9.45 the following night. I wrote off my AMS connection. I also had to write off my flight back from AMS to LHR. T’would be nice to see some form of recompense made for that, even if only Avios. Notified BA that I’d just be going home from LHR, and am trusting that my Tier Points will be credited despite the no-fly.

Some people have mentioned the EU compensation claim to me. Actually, in this case, and unlike my appalling experience with Monarch recently, I have absolutely no intention of making any claim, for inconvenience or anything. I don;’t know what exactly went wrong with the aircraft, but as far as I’m concerned it was one of those things which happens rarely (thankfully), and like I said, I am filled with admiration for the way the crew handled it.

If you were crew on the aircraft that night and are reading this, my personal thanks. I understand there were some irate and rude passengers – well, any delay is a pain, and the situation in the airport building was a joke, but that wasn’t BA’s fault.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

TOH – glad to hear you are OK and hope you get/got home safely.

I would not write off your AMS tickets… email BAEC and in the past they have been known to cancel/rebook due to circumstances… (in my cases, late inbounds…

JohnHarper
    Participant

TOH glad to hear all is OK and thank you for posting such a detailed account.

I suppose BA have lots of spare parts at JNB although they may be a bit short in the wing’s department 😉

canucklad
    Participant

Same as above TOH, and hope your onward journey is far less eventful.

A rapid disembarkation in the dark, I’m assuming they feared a fire risk, otherwise much safer to do a cabin by cabin controlled exit?
    Love the turn it off and on again, very high tech. lol

And look at the silver lining, a bonus day in CT courtesy of BA : )

PhilipHart
    Participant

@TOH, I thought your posting might end up being a case of tl;dr, but it was absolutely worth reading!

Thank you so much for sharing.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I cant help but ask TOH – presume the safety briefing had not been presented, but from what you saw:

1. would the safety briefing have helped

2. did many passengers try and take bags (appreciate you were on the top deck)

3. when crew say “get out/evacuate” does survival kick in and you just go for the door….

I also appreciate that the slides were not deployed, aircraft was at the gate – but wondered whether you had any observations regarding whether a safety briefing would have helped or not….

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Martyn, I don’t think the safety briefing would have made a difference, and as it happens, I think the event happened before there was a briefing.

There was no use of the chutes, for example.

I understand from the cabin crew that, yes, some people did try and grab their bags. he crew kept repeating: “Do not try and get your bags. Don’t wait to put on your shoes. Just walk as quickly as you can, please.” (or something similar) over and over again.

The emergency lighting was brighter than I’d expected – like a dimly lit room, really. And the crew were wielding torches.

Mrs TOH and I just did exactly what we were told. I think the constant repetition of the ‘exit mantra’ really worked.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Golly!

I confess, after the boredom of one’s umpteenth trip, irrops like this can sometimes be quite a jolly diversion.

Whenever similar issues have happened to me, I’m always straight onto my contact at BA to sort a ticket on the next flight out.

Glad there was nothing serious awry.

canucklad
    Participant

Magnificent spin SM, you’ve sent me to snooze land smiling and hoping to dream about my own personal jolly diversions.

I suppose if the galleries lounge had managed to give us food poisoning months ago we could always have just rebranded the experience and thanked BA for supplying us with a reverse colonic irrigation treatment as part of the luxuries of traveling up front. Lol.

Andrew66
    Participant

Interesting to read of your experience TOH , I did like the reboot bit , of course you have to wait 30 seconds between on and off as this is the special magical time that is needed for the reboot , whilst cursing and banging keys or buttons ferociously

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Galleries food poisoning (of which I haven’t heard any significant chatter) would be cheaper than a long weekend at Champneys, and much less Middle Class.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What an adventure and glad you and everyone else were OK.

By one of those strange coincidences in life, a friend of a friend was on the same flight and so I’ve heard this story. He reckoned it was a bomb scare! He was very blasé about it and it seems you all stayed up very late and drank the bar of the Table Bay dry on BA’s account.

By another coincidence ToH, do you deal with someone in London called Liz? She told me this so perhaps she was talking about you!

CXDiamond
    Participant

TOH, I’m pleased you are all safe.

Does anyone know the cause of the evacuation yet?

TiredOldHack
    Participant

CXDiamond: no idea. The explanation on the flight out 26 hours later was just that the computers couldn’t handle the input from the APU and ground power, but I dunno.

LP – I know a few people called Liz. Any more specific?

I must say, we didn’t hit the bar in the Table Bay. It was now 0130 and I just wanted to unwind and get some kip. And the minibar in our room was locked!

From what I’ve seen of the Table Bay hotel, I’d like to stay there next time. The Radisson was OK, but no more than that – though some of the staff were lovely.

I’ve heard from the Executive Club that my TPs for the missed/abandoned flights won’t be credited, as you have to fly. Bah.

I told them formally, that I had no intention of claiming financial compensation under the EU regs: these things happen, and I was (still am) full of admiration for the way they handled the evacuation. However, I gently pointed out that some form of recompense would be in order, and I’d settle for Avios. We shall see.

On the flight out the next night, I also heard that some people gave the flight crew a bloody hard time, because of the chaos at the airport. I can understand that people get upset, and I was irritated, but this was really outside BA’s control.

Our steward also told us that they managed the entire evacuation, and bear in mind that CPT has just one gangway, in three minutes. He seemed rather proud of that, and I think he should be.

One of his colleagues added that the First Officer (I think) had had to do the same thing only a few weeks ago, in the US. “Some people never have to do this in their careers, and he’s had two in a month”

He sounds jinxed to me 🙂

Mrs TOH (actually Doctor TOH) reckoned we got an extra day in Cape Town, in a nicer hotel, which is true, but it did upset my work schedule a bit. I had to dive online and try and sort something out, the moment we arrived.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls