Smoking in rental cars

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I hate to say this, but car hire is certainly an example of you get what you pay for. We rely on car hire for our frequent visits to Florida and whilst there are many options both on & off airport as well as local car hire firms near to where we live, we tend to stay with the big names becasue if things do go wrong or we are given a “bad un” we know there is usually a big choice to switch, even mid rental, with no arguments.

The lower priced options of airport can always claim no repalcement stock. We have in truth very rarely, if ever, had to leave an international airport with a hire car that had serious issues. The other advantage of the bigger firms is that the cars we rent (size must be sufficient for Juinr’s golf clubs), generally have less than 5000 miles on the clock.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Like you Rich, I’m a cigar smoker and enjoy them especially on a long journey or in traffic jams.

My MO is to open the window, blow the smoke out and leave the cigar where possible slightly out of the window. This seems to work and so far I’ve gotten away with it.

I do the same in my own cars, though driving through the alps on a very cold November night with the window open certainly helps keep me awake!

judynagy
    Participant

I’m a smoker and in California, of course, they shoot us. I couldn’t bear to smoke in a hotel room or a rental car, it just seems incredibly rude. Plus, of course, they will fine me if they catch me! It saddens me no end that smokers are little piggies and put cigarette butts out on the ground … but it annoys me that non-smokers think that if they ignore the fact that people smoke the smokers will disappear, that’s just dumb. Rules and laws don’t do much good … a better solution is to be considerate of each other and I doubt that will ever happen.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Judy,

As a smoker, I’m totally with you on this. I always book a non-smoking room (can’t speak about cars as haven’t hired one for years – have always been driven by others ;-)). A non-smoking room (and, in the event, car) at least makes me have to go outside the lobby for a fag (English use of the word, obviously), and a non-smoking car would make me have to stop in a lay-by. All good stuff.

I have also noticed that (in Europe at least), non-smoking rooms often threaten a €100/USD150 fine for smoking therein – another incentive.

A note to Mr Sinclair – I am trying quite hard to quit. But as I now have 8 days in the PRC ahead of me, I thought it was fairly pointless at this stage. Unless you know a good Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist in Shanxi Province, Martyn?.

Cheers, Simon

PS Sorry if this post is (even) less coherent than usual, but am gutted at the fact that the Olympics has had to finish. One of the rare times I have been proud to be British. Well done all nations – “to take part, not necessarily to win.” Or, as they say at Turkish Airlines “to check in and not necessarily to arrive.” Sorry – old prejudices, brought on by two bottles of rather nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc during the Closing Ceremony.

Edited once for inexplicable use of closed brackets…….

SimonRowberry
    Participant

PS And I’m sure that all non-UK posters won’t have the first idea of what I’m taking about here (no change there then?).

I just read that Sid Wadell, “The Voice of Darts”, has just passed away. Now, I understand that every host nation for an Olympics can choose a sport for inclusion that is not currently an Olympic sport. I’m not sure whether that’s an urban myth, but if it is right, then why didn’t we submit darts? We’d have got a gold, with NL getting silver…. On the same subject, what else would we have put forward as out sport? Queuing? Discussing the weather? All ideas for Rio, on a postcard to M. Rogge, Chairman, IOC, Geneva, CH.

PPS A mate of mine got tickets for the women’s beach volleyball. The rat. I suggested that I hoped the game was between Iran and Saudi. Apparently (not a myth), from certain top tier seats in the beach volleyball arena you could see straight into the garden of Number 10. Must have been designed by G4S then.

PPPPPS Sorry, I forgot this was a business travel site and some people don’t appreciate attempts at humour.

Did they let kids into the best seats for the Olympics? Answers on a postcard to any of the prejudiced numpties on the relevant thread….

The Kiwis make some damned good wine.

G’night. Simon

Edited several times for general coherence.

stevescoots
    Participant

Charles, most US airports I have been to you can go back out thru security for a smoke, you do of course have to come back through security again to get back in!

I have done it many times, I was once stuck on ORD for 8 hours, must have gone through security at leat 10 times! they even recognised me as I was going out each time

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As you asked CharlesQ…….

My issue with smokers is that there needs to be a way that it does not affect non smokers:

1. Look at the sitution outside most airports, especially bad outside T3. Smoking booths inside airports are not that effective.

2. I occasionaly fly with a smoker who smokes from doors closed to landing. I need to take a spare set of clothes and Mrs S knows exactly when I have been flying with this client. Smokers habits DO affect non smokers

3. Smokers smell!

4. I would have no issue with airlines that have smoking only flights.

Apart from the the above, smokers can smoke away – as long as I dont have to smell them or my clothes smell of their smoke!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I thought all flights everywhere were non smoking? Didn’t realise some of the ME / Indian carriers still allowed it!

I also hate walking though the wall of smoke which is prevalent outside the terminal doors of many airports. Shouldn’t be allowed even though I am a cigar smoker.

Of course if all ciggie smokers switched to cigars the world would be a lot healthier!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Really? Wow, that’s two things I’ve learned today;-). Let me know how they are please Charles.

judynagy
    Participant

Not having a smoking area in an airport is exactly what I’m talking about … “they” think we will stop smoking if they make it difficult to have a cigarete. No reason at all not to have a smoking area after security in every airport. Denver has a nice bar with field views where you can have a soda or drink and a cigarette. And I’ll bet they have no problems hiring servers, because smokers are happy to be there and tip well. As pointed out in an earlier post, there are MANY worse smells than cigarette smoke, but now it’s PC to bash smokers. The non-smokers are just being obstinant because they can. Until the PC craze is over, we can just use our electronic cigarettes, which work remarkably well.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

judynagy – this non smoker objects to being forced to walk through the “wall of smoke” & the residual smell on my clothes when I get home. I have no problems with people smoking as long as it doesnt affect me.

LoP – smoking is banned on most if not all scheduled flights. Private flights and some executive charters still permit smoking.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Charles, first thing I learned yesterday was smoking is permitted on some ME/Indian carriers, though Martyn has now contradicted this!

I’d consider starting with a Siglo II. An easy and relaxing smoke it’s not too strong or overpowering. Savour the smoke in the mouth before expelling it and remember, do not inhale! I tend to smoke them about 3/4 down before the taste becomes unpleasant, but that is down to trial and error.

Have a look here: http://www.cigars-review.org/cigars/Cohiba.htm

SimonS1
    Participant

Surely our friend Mr Bond will have strong views on this.

Whatever next, children smoking in seat 1A?

Papillion53
    Participant

Martynsinclair – I’m with you on keeping those smelly smokers away from me- stinky, stinky, stinky!!!

Judynagy – it’s very naive to think we non-smokers are only objecting to you smokers just because it’s “PC” and we dont like the smell – call me obstinate if you like, but I for one care about my health and breathing in others’ second hand smoke is something that I do not wish to do! Does anyone really need me to write up the stats on deaths from passive smoking???????

Smokers – Please don’t smoke in rental cars as the stink never goes away – and the same for hotel rooms, you can never truly get rid of the smell.

Even at Gleneagles we had to walk through the fug of smoke at the front door, even though they have a designated smoking area well signposted. Apparently the doormen get a hard time from smokers who refuse to use the designated area! 🙁

But the worst was having a massage by a therapist who’d just been for a quick cig before starting my treatment – it was truly awful.

judynagy
    Participant

Q: “Judynagy – it’s very naive to think we non-smokers are only objecting to you smokers just because it’s “PC”.”
    You missed my point. Non-smokers are getting away with telling smokers what to do because that’s the PC thing to do. Nobody likes to be told what to do based on someone else’s opinion. I’m not arguing that smoking is good, but addiction is a fact of life. If smokers would stop being so horrid and use the designated areas and stop throwing cigarette butts on the ground, I think the non-smokers might stop preaching. While not naive, I am an optimist.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls