Bombardier CS100 jet now testing for LCY certification

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just to let you know that Bombardier’s CS100 aircraft (slightly larger than BA Cityflyer’s E190) commenced procedures for London City Airport (LCY) certification.

Its C100 arrived at London Stansted on Tuesday. Trials at LCY started yesterday and will continue, I expect, for several days.

The trials comprise approach (which is especially steep at LCY), ground handling, take-off and, last but not least, noise levels.

Having followed the developments at LCY since the mid-1980s (before LCY even opened) I can assure you that noise levels are a sensitive issue. So much so that LCY has always closed between lunchtime Saturday and lunchtime Sunday to give local residents some peace. Its curfew is early even by the standards of LHR and FRA.

From Swiss’ viewpoint it is vital the CS100 obtains LCY certification. Swiss intends to use the CS100 for its flights linking GVA/ZRH with LCY.

Until recently Swiss was using its RJ100s for those routes but it’s reported that this aircraft (the 100 series and not the smaller 85 series) will be unable to use LCY from the end of this month.

For the past few months Swiss has been operating its LCY services using an E190 aircraft of Helvetic.

http://www.bombardier.com/en/media/multimedia-gallery/details.bombardier-aerospace-cseries-customers-operators-cs100.html

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Bombardier’s CSeries completed its LCY trials. Today it flew non-stop from LCY to JFK. Sounds impressive. However it was probably a lightly-loaded flight.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bombardier-cseries-idUKKBN16V1EP

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m looking forward to flying this route in the C100 though I’ll miss the old Avro jets. I always felt safe with those four engines.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some good news tonight.

Although LCY has yet to provide official confirmation the news from Bombardier is that the C100 jet now has certification for steep approaches for airports such as LCY.

LCY’s CEO Declan Collier is quoted as saying, “we hope the C Series will become a familar sight at London City Airport and I look forward to welcoming the maiden Swiss C Series flight later in 2017.”

Swiss is the only European airline currently operating the C100.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As predicted Swiss is preparing to launch CS100 operations at London City Airport.

An LCY executive has just this minute tweeted “A big welcome to the CS100 in for flight training today. First CS100 in Swiss colours at LCY.”

Readers will I am sure welcome the CS100’s deployment at LCY. This aircraft has received favourable reviews and will certainly provide a quieter ride than the elderly BAe146s which Swiss had been using previously.

Here’s our piece which broke the news that Bombardier’s CS100 test aircraft had received certification for LCY back in April.

Bombardier CS100 approved for London City

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls