Aer Lingus: where customers matter

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

PatJordan
    Participant

In today’s post, I received a package from Aer Lingus. There was a letter from the CEO, Christophe Mueller thanking me (and all Gold Circle Elite members) for our support, and outlining future developments in Aer Lingus.

This was accompanied by a small gift: a Newbridge Silverware christmas tree decoration.

What a nice touch, especially during these recessionary times, and a welcome reminder that Aer Lingus values individual customers.

canucklad
    Participant

Proof’s my point Pat…..

Well done EI…something tactile is more personable than e-card

A small relatively in-expensive gesture goes a hellva a way to consolidating Brand loyalty…

Pay attention to minor details, and the rest will follow.

Indulge in extravagant marketing and advertising, setting unreal expectations and you’re on the road to trouble…

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do hope Ireland’s hard pressed taxpayers approve of such largesse.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

With a handling charge of €6/£6 per sector I’m sure they can afford it. (€6 equates to £4.88 at today’s rate)
    The hanging Christmas star costs €5 on the Newbridge website.

traffic
    Participant

As an irish tax payer, I approve.
    Well done Mr Mueller, doing a great job

syclik5
    Participant

Why would the Irish taxpayer’s approval matter? The Irish taxpayer does not provide any money to Aer Lingus (unless, of course, they are buying airline tickets for that particular carrier)

traffic
    Participant

approval doesnt really matter but doesnt the governemnt get a dividend as part of their shareholding?
    PatJordan can you tell us what the future developments were?

canucklad
    Participant

VK… What did BA send you this Christmas?

If this small gesture influences EI’s most valued customers to remain loyal to Aer Lingus its more of an investment….than an expenditure

Especially if BA have improved on the BD offering between DUB -LHR

Travellator
    Participant

Canuklad – BA now offer CE from Dub to Lhr – but dont know why anyone would pay those prices for a 1 hour flight – that is unless they were desperate for 80 Tier Points.

Personally I think its time for EI to become a full service airline again and possibly rejoin One World ?

SimonS1
    Participant

syclik5 – for the very reason that the airline is losing money. Who do you think covers these losses – the shareholders. Who owns about 25% of Aer Lingus – the Irish taxpayer.

Kerrching.

FrDougal
    Participant

Simon, think you’ll find Aer Lingus is profitable and comfortably so considering the state of the Irish and European economy on a whole!!!!

Also just because the government owns 25%, that is simply a shareholding. EI is a private company and therefore does not benefit from taxpayers cash!

PegasusAir
    Participant

VK: Surely EI is only 25% owned by the taxpayer – Ironically Ryanair own 29.9% so an unusual contribution from them. I agree with Canuckland – a nice gesture for valued customers.

Papillion53
    Participant

Lovely surprise and if nothing else worth it’s weight as a marketing excercise as we’re all talking about them!

syclik5
    Participant

SimonS1 – Aer Lingus is not losing money; it’s profitable (profit for the first 9 months of 2012 is 30% ahead of last year – http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media/aerlinguscom/content/pdfs/corporate/Q3_2012_IMS_7November_2012.pdf), and in fact it has €991 million in cash sitting on its balance sheet (the cash alone dwarfs the valuation put on the airline by Ryanair in their offer).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls