Beirut, November 2012

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

When it comes to travel in troubled areas, I usually follow the Foreign Office recommendations as well and its French and Swiss counterparts. Now I am seriously considering going back to Beirut, which doesn’t seem to be in contradiction with any of the previous. But Beirut is not Abuja or Tehran; in other words the line is not as clear (meaning than it is a clear “no” for the former and an obvious “yes” for the latter). Have any of you been there lately? Any thought?
    Thanks

austline
    Participant

I travel to Abuja and Lagos on a very regular basis, and while there have been some troubles in Abuja I find the place quite peaceful and pleasant, quite different from the stressful chaotic city of Lagos. I really like Beirut, fun city, have good friends there and always have a great time and never felt threatened. Agree all government travel advices are ambiguous to say the least. The Brits have one of the better sites, forget the Aussies their site is abysmal to say the least! Few places I wouldn’t venture too, Cairo -surprisingly, Kabul and Bagdad but to mention a few.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Austline, you’re right, Govt. travel advice is often subjective. Despite travel warnings I know people who travelled safely through the Congo and Sudan, by road.

I can see your point about Kabul and Baghdad, but I’m curious as to why you think Cairo is dangerous – assuming you’re not a female reporter of course?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to go to Beirut, as I have family connections there. Not somewhere I yet managed to get to.

I would never let any local difficulty stop me travelling, though when travelling to Israel or countries close to Syria/Afghanistan/Iran it’s probably a good idea not to book to far in advance so you can gauge risk closer to you travel time.

In Beirut, I would recommend Gordon’s lovely hotel, The Gray, although I haven’t stayed there, the others in his group are superb:

http://www.campbellgrayhotels.com/le-gray-beirut.html?lang=EN#/le-gray-beirut

A good excuse to sample BA’s new midhaul Club cabin, too:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/TCX69K/132FAE5B-3908-40CA-9F6B-2D753C7B58D1-1590-0000017439B2594E.jpg

[photo credit to TCX69 on another site]

Swissdiver
    Participant

VK: Beirut = Le Vendome for me, a brilliant boutique Interconti facing the see! And since I’ll be coming from DMM, no BA this time. Thanks anyway.

Austline: Can’t understand Cairo either…

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Swissdiver are you sure you want to go to Beirut only its about 50 miles from Tripoli? plus the Foreign Offices advises against all but essentional travel to that country.

Pierre
    Participant

Hi,

@BeckyBoop
    There is a city in Lebanon called Tripoli. It is not the capital city of Lybia

I wld go to Beirut. The Middle East is safe I never felt any fear or pressure.
    Obviously, and unfortunately, Syria cannot be listed for now. One of the most fascinating people I ever met..

Swissdiver
    Participant

Becky,
    And it is about 50 miles from Damascus! You can relate this to the maximum width of Israel that is 70 miles (at its narrowest point it is less than 10 miles – source: Wikipedia). Everything is small in this part of the world 🙂 This being said, I booked on miles to be able to cancel should something weird happen in between (The US elections being a possible source of tension)…

austline
    Participant

I have been put of Cairo as have heard dreadful airport stories and security scares. My wife would really like to visit Egypt but I am cool on the idea maybe when things settle down a bit I might change my mind. I have been told by my travel advisor not to go to Aswan because of the security situation.. What do BT readers think?

Pierre
    Participant

Hi,
    @austline,
    I visited Egypt a number of times, visiting remote areas, even during political tensions, and never felt that I was at risk. I never Heard that Aswan was a dangerous place.There are cruises on the Lake Nasser (www.voyageursdumonde.fr) to be booked before your trip there. By far more impressive than the cruise on the Nile. When in Aswan or Luxor, do not miss Comombo. Enjoy your trip! Nov/march is the best period, you skip the heat!

Bruce98
    Participant

I was in Beirut last month, very nice city, relaxed lifestyle etc….

The week after I left, a massive car bomb killed 8 people in the city.

It comes down to how lucky you feel, the probability of being killed by a car bomb is quite small, but on the other hand ‘you’re a long time dead.’

Tripoli (Lebanon) is 52 miles to the north of Beirut and IMHO is unsafe, due to entanglement in the Syrian internal conflict. Avoid.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Bruce, where you there on holiday? I have always been put off going to the middle east as there is always fighting and political unrest. Me an my bf wanted to go to Dubai 2 years ago but didn’t because is illegal for unmarried couples to share rooms + you cant go out and get drunk 🙁

craigwatson
    Participant

Becky please tell me you are just having a laugh? Dubai is like the mid east version of Las Vegas. The only thing people do there is get drunk and party.

Bruce98
    Participant

I was there on business. Beirut, at the moment, is not the place I’d choose to go for leisure.

In calmer times, yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls