News

Over 720 aircraft currently in storage at UK airports

7 May 2020 by Mark Caswell
Aircraft parked at London Stansted airport

Analysis from data and analytics expert Cirium shows that there are over 720 aircraft in storage at UK airports, worth a combined US$16.7 billion.

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has led carriers worldwide to ground the majority of their fleets, with aircraft currently parked at nearly 30 airports across the UK.

The data (compiled as of May 4) shows Gatwick airport leading the way with 16.62 per cent of all stored passenger jets (around 120 aircraft), followed by Stansted (11.95 per cent), with Heathrow and Manchester both on 11.26 per cent.

The top ten airports account for 78 per cent of parked aircraft, with the remaining 22 per cent spread across another 19 airports.

These figures pale into insignificance though, when compared with the number of aircraft currently parked at airports such as Roswell International Air Center in New Mexico, where over 350 planes are currently in storage.

Cirium data

Other dedicated storage facilities worldwide include Southern California Logistics Airport and Marana Pinal Airpark in Arizona, both of which currently have around 250 stored aircraft.

Business Traveller recently published images of KLM’s fleet parked at Amsterdam Schiphol

The big picture: KLM fleet parked at Amsterdam Schiphol

Loading comments...

Search Flight

See a whole year of Reward Seat Availability on one page at SeatSpy.com

Business Traveller September / October 2020 edition
Business Traveller September / October 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls