Travel pillow

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• phillyjilly
    Participant

Hello all-
    Am new here. Wondering if anyone has tried a foam travel pillow for a hotel bed. Been doing research and haven’t found one with decent reviews. Looking for foam, something with support and travels well. Thanks in advance!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I used one of these Tempur Travel Pillows for a while, but to be honest although it works well on a flat-bed airline seat, I didn’t find it particularly suitable as a hotel pillow because it is so narrow. Having said that I recently lent it to Senior Offspring to use on her travels and she liked it – fairly impressive given that I must have had it for at least ten years (probably a lot more) and all that time it had sat in its pouch, but when removed it ‘unfolded’ and expanded to its original size.

stevescoots
    Participant

i always travel with an inflatable camping pillow. I cannot sleep without a high pillow and no matter how many i have on the layflat seats they are still too low. But the camp pillow under the airline seat makes it perfect, whats more it deflates and folds to the size of a cigarette pack, from memory it was 5.99 in argos and had it years

IanFromHKG
    Participant

My indispensable inflatable is a back cushion – absolutely marvellous and saved me from much backache. The only problem is I keep leaving the wretched things behind and having to replace them!

phillyjilly
    Participant

Thank you!!! I was looking at the inflatables too. The hotel pillows never give enough support and their foam ones are hard. Thank you again!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Thanks, Tom – although I suspect those are more used by leisure than business travellers.

I just got back from a delightful holiday in Bali – the vast majority of everything was wonderful (traffic being a very notable exception) but it did (again) make me realise what difference a good pillow makes. The villas where we stayed provided (per person) two pillows and a bolster (I never got the hang of the latter!). But… one pillow was insufficient, two pillows were too much. I don’t particularly like inflatable pillows because they tend to wrap around one’s face unless mostly inflated (in which case they are too hard), but I am beginning to think that an inflatable under-pillow might be a good idea…

Having said that, my main beef with hotel beds (particularly in Asia) is that I often find them too hard. The Memsahib and I are constantly asking for mattress toppers (or, if unavailable, extra duvets) to be put on top of mattresses to prevent the impression that we are sleeping on a pile of bricks. I realise that travel is tiring so returning home to one’s own bed is always a relief, but we never cease to remark on how much better we sleep on the night we get back! Take this last week – the Memsahib, who has knee problems, has been getting up early every day on holiday (much to my chagrin, but that’s another story) because her knee has been so painful she just has to get up and move about. Each morning I myself was stiff (my back!!) and had mild backache. One night at home…. Bliss. Sadly, I suspect a travel mattress topper is an invention that will require a bit more innovation before becoming a reality…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, it probably would be a bit bulky, even when uninflated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls