The Best Hotel welcome

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

I have been in Dhaka now for a week staying in the Westin Hotel. The service from the staff is second to none, with nothing being too much trouble. The Executive club is well stocked with alcohol and the 5.30 – 7.30 pm happy hour buffet is plentiful and varied

I was wondering which hotel chain or property anywhere in the world gives you the same level of service and customer satisfaction.

Westin’s or SPG is my chain of choice and the time spent here has just reinforced that view, well done Westin and in particular the staff here in Dhaka.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

We are similar K1ngston, SPG remains my number 1 choice because of the wonderful and flexible exec lounges and the services provides.

You know the WGS in BKK remains my favourite lounge, but when I was staying at the Fra Westin, the executive team there provided a wonderful and flexible service, within the constraints and limitations of the GM of the time. In Fra I have now moved to the Marriott and the lounge staff are just getting to know me and my needs :))

Putting some balance into your question, I stayed at the Okura in Wireless Road, BKK and that hotel has an amazing exec lounge with great food and drink options.

Sometimes the challenge is knowing whether a hotel has a lounge. For me, the lounge benefit is far more important than benefiting from a suite upgrade. I conduct the majority of my meetings in exec lounges and yes it helps not to having to constantly buy food and drink for clients.

Another great lounge I’ve used recently was at the Hilton Opera in Hanoi.

You have posted in the past about how Dhaka can be a challenge. Glad to hear you are in the safe hands of the Westin group..

K1ngston
    Participant

Martyn, we have shared the services of the Westin Exec lounge in BKK when we met so I know what you mean, the standard of the lounge in BKK is excellent also….

The Westin here in Dhaka is doing a great job Martyn making life easier definitely

Trust you are well my friend

esselle
    Participant

I think my favourite hotel lounge is at the Grosvenor House, Dubai. It does everything brilliantly, from breakfast, day through hot and cold beverages, lunchtime buffet and then cocktails and buffet in the evening.

capetonianm
    Participant

I try not to stay in chain hotels, nothing wrong with them, but I prefer individual properties which seem to have a bit more charm. At one hotel in the UK where I stay regularly and often for up to a week at a time, I sometimes find a bottle of wine in my room, and a nice touch is that they go to the trouble to get a South African wine for me.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

K1ngston – life is good. Just spent a wonderful evening playing backgammon in Home House in Portman Sq followed by dinner in Florentine in GG.

Weds I will be in FRA, testing another exec lounge…

Enjoy Dhaka (if you can) :))

K1ngston
    Participant

Following on from my glowing report on the Westin in Dhaka I am about to head back to Singapore from Delhi and have been staying in the Westin Gurgaon. I cannot begin to try and put into words the total disappointment with the whole stay. The hotel is much newer than the sister in Dhaka but the staff and their attitudes have made me angry and I have told them that I will not stay here again going back to the Le Meridien also in Gurgaon which is an excellent property.

If anyone from the hotel management is reading this, they are certainly doing more than returning to me after the myriad of complaints I have entered at all departments, when at last the manager called me in my room last night and after trying to defend his staff, said would i like a fruit platter sent to the room? I responded that if you need to ask then you clearly have not captured the points I have been making

Like a book dont judge hotels by their shiny exteriors the Westin here is a very poorly run property and I have instructed my team that I will not sanction requests to stay here until I have a satisfactory response from somebody …

Next week I am in one of my favourite SPG properties in Hanoi, where they cannot do enough for me, and where it really does feel like I am coming home, especially when over the last 18 months I have stayed in SPG properties 124 nights (excluding other hotels where there are no SPGs)

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Martyn S, you should try the Hilton in F’furt. The lounge is slightly strangely laid out, but there are stairs up to a second level which is normally quiet. There is also a mini business centre on the lower level. Happy hour food is to 8:30 and drinks, including spirits, are available to help yourself to. The staff are also very obliging. I haven’t stayed in the Marriott for a few years but, from memory, the lounge was 2 rooms which had many noisy transatlantic friends piling plates high. At that time only soft drinks were complimentary, but I know that Marriott upped their game, in respect of lounges, in the last year or so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls