New UK rail card likely to be launched nationwide in 2018

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Alex McWhirter
    Participant

It’s a new railcard which will suit our younger business traveller readers.

It will be offered to travellers aged 26-30 years (but can be used until your 31st birthday).

The plan is to roll it out on the Greater Anglia network in December and then extend it nationwide in 2018.

Details of restrictions remain a secret but, as with the Young Person’s railcard, morning peak hour travel may not be allowed.

However it would still be valid to/from airports (outside the morning peak) and one could always circumvent the time restrictions on a day return business trip by purchasing a normal fare (either Advance or regular) one-way and then using the railcard to obtain a cheaper price for the return.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/10/new-26-30-railcard-to-be-trialled-from-december

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Age discrimination to the fore here!!!

K1ngston
    Participant

WOW ageism is at play 🙂

I guess it won’t be long and I will be able to get a pensioners fair …..

MarcusGB
    Participant

So, in these PC times, there should also be a railcard for the 45-59 yr olds also, hard pressed, height of their careers, and getting older?!!!

Perhaps a Male Railcard, a Female railcard, a Blond Railcard, (though we may be forget to take it with us!)
    If it gives 33% discount, my Blond, Male, 45+ railcards, would only leave me to pay 1% of the real fare.

On the other hand, a non-privatised network, such as The Netherlands, would give everyone, equal right, at any time, to travel nationally and spontaneously, throughout the country, whilst earning money back into Government funds. Us the taxpayers.
    Travelling the length of the country for a Max of 30 Euros, and a standard 10 Euros on Sunday max, would be far more fair and a national resource.
    Not only do we have to plan to “get off the island”, and get taxed for doing so, than we pay hundreds £’s to travel within it, if we get a spur of the moment hope.
    I am surprised the current Government have not introduced a train Tax!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Marcus, you did not include a discount card for Transgenders. How very unPC of you 😉

Swiss Rail sell a half fare card for CHF 165 a year for a 50% discount on all regular fares by Train, bus and boat as well as 25% discount on rail fares in neighboring countries.

Flightlevel
    Participant

It may have restrictions ‘though since I usually travel outside rush hours many seats are available especially in first class.
    Why not just lower the cheap day return tickets for everyone and age won’t be a factor.
    First class is never more than half full (Virgin East Coast) out of rush hour so they should offer upgrades at the departure station,not just online?

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Since the news emerged some regular travellers now asking why there can’t be a railcard for frequent users as in offered in Switzerland and Germany.

Germany’s DB offers no fewer than three separate Bahncards with different prices and levels of discount.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/bahncard/bahncard.shtml

Flightlevel – What VTEC does offer is something called Seatfrog which covers last minute upgrades.

Virgin Trains East Coast launches upgrade app

Flightlevel
    Participant

Thanks Alex,aware of that and can get discounts online too.
    They’re still up to half empty so they can sell at departure station since sales staff are online too?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls