New EasyJet series on UK tv.

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• Poshgirl58
    Participant

I watched the second episode. Disappointed that the programme has now finished, I think they could have managed a third episode, perhaps fast forwarding six months to see what progress the new recruits had made.

No reference to boobs, fake or real, this week. One of the training captains mentioned something about his colleague’s love life, but that was all.

It was also good to see that that the programme dealt with the shortage of female pilots. Interesting chat between Captain and First Officer about having a family. I didn’t realise that EZY placed their new recruits at airports often in another country (CDG and BFS were two examples in the programme).

Better viewing that the BBC’s offering about BA.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I too watched the second episode and whilst I am sure Easy are a safe and a professionally run organization with a superb training academy, pilot training selection seems to have become younger and younger. Now it seems only 5 GCE’s + £120,000 are needed to be recruited for pilot training. No “A” levels or uni degree’s. No wonder passengers were commenting on the age of the pilots and the trainees themselves were commenting about taking control of the the airbus….. “this is craaazzyy”.

Is it a case of firms offering pilot sponsorship being able to recruit to a higher standard and those asking for recruits to cover the cost of their own training to take the second tier of recruits….?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It did seem astonishing that there was a 20-year old fully qualified pilot. Still, he seemed a lot more sensible than I was at that age.

I enjoyed the second episode, though it did seem very staged – the two female pilots in the cockpit and the voice over saying there was only a 1:300 chance of a female first officer and chief officer on the same flight, which when you then take into account the presence of cameras in there must make it even more unlikely! Good fun watching the training in the “Vomit Comet”.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I definitely felt my age. I suppose that officially makes me a boring old fart …

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What I found very disturbing was watching the two female pilots engaging in conversation, turning to face each other laughing away while in flight, as if they were out sitting in a bar somewhere. They should have had their eyes on the instruments and gauges. It’s fine to talk, even glance at each other but the focus should be on flying the plane safely.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=823848]I definitely felt my age. I suppose that officially makes me a boring old fart …

[/quote]

Yes it does. 🙂 🙂 😉

thecartoonman
    Participant

@LuganoPirate I think in this instance we should remember it was a TV programme and probably edited a fair bit, I certainly did not feel the 2 female pilots were anything other than professional and far more preferable to stories of some ‘overworked’ US pilots who just feel asleep and overshot their destination, a situation probably not helped by the locked security door to the flight deck, which would mean cabin crew unable to enter the flight deck and shake them awake.

What I did find rather strange was the final recruit based in Belfast who had UK/Dutch parents but had never heard of The Bay of Biscay, the Captain asked ‘had he ever studied geography’? Priceless.

Stowage222
    Participant

When thinking about the age of these new pilot recruits, it did bring to mind the age of some Spitfire pilots during WWII protecting Blighty! Those guys had other things to worry about rather than their female preferences!

openfly
    Participant

@stowage222 …or their male preferences!!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I was speaking with an easyjet pilot a few days ago. He confirmed that he had asked internally and been told that easyjet had no control over the edit of the programme, which explains why there were some bits shown that it would rather have been omitted. At least it didn’t turn into the whitewash you often get with these “behind the scenes” series at major companies.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thats good to know Tom. Respect to Easyjet for not insisting on editorial control.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Series 2 started last Thursday.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls