KLM Schiphol lounges to start charging for (proper) food?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• travelsforfun
    Participant

I came across an article on KLM’s online newsroom announcing that a new catering provider had been secured for its two Schiphol Lounges, who would be offering a “new catering concept”. It goes on to say:

“Vermaat’s culinary expertise will raise the standard of KLM’s lounge products for all its lounge visitors. In future, it will also be possible to order and pay for additional premium products in advance.”

[http://news.klm.com/vermaat-to-supply-catering-services-for-klms-schiphol-lounges/]

I’m all for improving the food in those Lounges – the hot food offering tends towards quantity over quality. But I certainly wouldn’t welcome a shift towards the paid-café model used by the larger airline lounges in the US, where the complimentary offering is generally limited to a few nibbles. I’m concerned this is the thin end of the wedge.

Maybe one on which Business Traveller can get more clarity from KLM?

TominScotland
    Participant

Is Vermaat the Dutch equivalent of M & S? KLM certainly need to upgrade their food offering at Schipol as, currently, it is mediocre. Charging customers makes you wonder why you might bother aspiring to the lounge? I will continue to go because I am Platinum for life…..

capetonianm
    Participant

There are very few lounges I would ‘aspire’ to, but if airlines were to start charging for food I would welcome it. It would prevent the wastage when greedy slobs pile their plates high and then leave half of it, and if it kept those same people out of the lounges entirely, that would be a further benefit. I’ve seen animals with more restraint than the way some people behave when food and drink are free.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls