Holiday Inn Express Antrim

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

The Hotel is situated beside the Junction One shopping centre, outside Antrim, perfectly placed for shopping trips.

Our first impression was of a large bright reception cum lobby area, with lots of natural light from the big windows.

On checking in, I was welcomed as a ICHotels Gold member and offered complimentary drink vouchers for my wife and I. The very helpful receptionist outlined the breakfast times and locations and welcomed us to the hotel.

We were on the second floor, and while waiting for the lift to arrive we were struck by the heat emanating from the ice and vending machines. The lack of air conditioning in this public area was very noticeable.

Our family room was well presented with the sofa bed (for our grand-daughter) opened out and made up. The décor was neutral beige shades with a nicely appointed bathroom. Outside the bathroom was a full length mirror with a small hair dryer attached. This was alongside a good sized storage unit which incorporated a hospitality tray.

There was a good size flat screen TV on the desk area, but only two power points were available in the room. Given the number of mobile devices in use today, particularly in a family room, this was surprising. Also surprising was the lack of a power point beside the mirror: like many ladies, my wife prefers to use her own hair dryer and straightener: this was not possible here.

Most disappointing was the lack of air conditioning in the room. The window (which is quite small) only opens a little, thus restricting the amount of cool air entering the room. A fan was provided immediately when requested, but in truth, only circulates the warm air present in the room, with little cooling effect. On a very warm June day, this made the room very uncomfortable for three people, with sleep being elusive.

When we entered the room, the window was already open. Given the large cobweb in window’s corner, it had been open for some time, and remained unseen by housekeeping.

Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn Express fare, and very good quality. The coffee machine was particularly good, especially the espresso. Despite the breakfast area being quite busy, food was replenished quickly.

On checking out, I outlined my concerns to Leeann, who took notes of what I said so as to raise them at the management meeting that morning. On hearing that I had a poor night’s sleep, and faced a lengthy drive home, I was offered the use of the room for a few hours past normal check out time. This was appreciated, but as me had activities planned for our grand-daughter, I had to decline. I did, however suggest that the management might care to add some points to my account, which Leeann said she would raise. At time of writing I have had no contact from the hotel.

This hotel is in an excellent location, but is let down by the scarcity of power points in the bedrooms and most importantly is uncomfortably warm in the summer.

Two serious concerns arise from this visit:

Firstly the failure of the hotel management to make any contact with me, and secondly when I tried to add this review to the Holiday Inn Express web page, it was rejected for “inappropriate language”!!!!

Is it now the case that considered criticism is deemed by Intercontinental Hotels as “inappropriate?? Whatever next!

icenspice
    Participant

Pat, I never in my wildest dreams expected to read Antrim and lack of air conditioning in the same post!!

PatJordan
    Participant

Icenspice, it was a very warm night, and a family room for up to four people…..not a recipe for a good night’s sleep.

The weather was really nice!

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Fair review in my experience of the place, it’s certainly no worse The The Holiday Inn in Belfast although both are pretty spartan. Antrim is very useful for a mattress run and points given are accurate, unlike Belfast where they are almost always wrong.
    I love the suggestion of air con but in most hotels I turn it off!

1nfrequent
    Participant

I’ve read on a number of Forums that the Holiday Inn and Intercontinental websites are very resistant to people posting negative reviews (which I would love to see challenged under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008).

Many sympathies for the lack of air conditioning on an unnaturally warm night (by Antrim standards anyway!). I got caught out myself on the air con front when I did a stay in Glasgow a number of years back so always double check on the website before booking but that’s obviously no comfort here. I am surprised though that you haven’t heard back from the management – I’ve usually found HI management quick to respond.

Hope you get some kind of recompense anyway.

1F

PatJordan
    Participant

Finally, the hotel management replied to me: through the Tripadvisor forum.

The bedroom and some of the public areas were stiflingly warm due to the failure of management to install airconditioning. Imagine my surprise to read the hotel’s apology for the warm weather!

I kid you not, this is the response from the management of a member of a leading hotel chain!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls