Heathrow expansion vote delayed once again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Often, a language other than English has the most appropriate word for a concept we need to express – a well known example might be schadenfreude.

I know there are many forum posters with a greater knowledge of languages than I possess, so I was wondering if there was a word which combined “unbelievable” with “yet not surprising”.

Heathrow expansion vote delayed until 2018

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Tom, the single word is in the subject line.
    Heathrow

icenspice
    Participant

‘ya’

2 letters in Spanish which manage to combine a sense of disappointment with resignation.

I hear it all the time from TBH!!

penfold69
    Participant

I think it is so farcical, that it’s almost impossible to sum up in 1 word, in any language. It would be easier to sum up the people in charge of the decision as a bunch of eejits.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Following the highly successful visit of the King and Queen of Spain to London, I think the word you’re looking for Tom is: “Mañana”!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Difficult to disagree with it bein postponed.

There are bigger fish to fry than expanding Heathrow, which will require the MP’s full attention for a while.

It can wait.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was talking to an MP friend of mine a few days ago who is against both HS2 and further expansion of Heathrow.
    I can’t remember the figures as like all MP’s he went on for ages, but it could pay our eventual Brexit bill, provide umpteen thousand new homes, a few new hospitals and an increase in MP’s salaries. Actually that last bit was my input! Good reasons not to go ahead with either.

SimonS1
    Participant

It’s exactly things like this that need sorting to ensure UK PLC is competitive post Brexit.

Unfortunately with the Maybot getting her judgement all wrong there is no leadership at present and anything slightly contentious will be classified as ‘too hard’.

Even though the Greens have only 1 MP and the LibDems have long since reverted to being an irrelevance there are plenty of pitfalls out there politically.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

FDOS, you say that it is difficult to disagree with it being postponed. Does that mean that you think there is a viable alternative to increasing Heathrow, and Gatwick?

Or, is it that politicians only ever think about being re-elected, and put popularity above pragmatism? It is always easier, if you are a politician, to avoid a decision than to make one that may come back to bite you.

LuganoPirate, HS2 is entirely different. Heathrow will be privately funded.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=819083]FDOS, you say that it is difficult to disagree with it being postponed. Does that mean that you think there is a viable alternative to increasing Heathrow, and Gatwick?
    [/quote]

I don’t think MP’s should even be thinking about airport capacity, until they have sorted Brexit out, that is the only real priority at the moment IMHO.

openfly
    Participant

Gatwicks second runway will be up and running well before Heathrows third…..!

Johnnyg
    Participant

Openfly, I couldn’t agree more, when you factor in the expansion vote and a public enquiry (bearing in mind that the T5 inquiry cost £80m, heard 700 witnesses, generated 100,000 pages of transcripts, sat for 524 days and took eight years from first application to government approval) and that didn’t include purchasing extra land and properties which R3 will.

In addition, LGW say they have the funds and are expanding their long haul network as well.

I really cannot see a logical reason to ignore LGW

canucklad
    Participant

To answer your original question Tom……

It requires a new made up word …….I’m “ROLLYSIGHEYED” about the latest news.

But , I’ll revert back to a word or two I’ve used before……”Gutless” and “cowardly”

transtraxman
    Participant

I agree canucklad #819099.
    I totally disagree with FDOS #819087.
    The Brexit negotiators should get on with the job of negotiating and the country should not be paralised because of it. There are other questions which must be attended to despite Brexit. If that is impossible it will be worse after any exit treaty is agreed. There will be so many details to sort out that the country could be concentrated on Brexit for a decade. That is unacceptable as the day to day running of the country, excecuted by the government and overseen by parliament are of paramount importance, even above Brexit.
    If Brexit absorbs us too much then maybe the question should be taken to the country again. Another referendum – basically it would be about – “Having uncovered the lies in the original campaign for Brexit, plus all the effects, inconveniences and costs involved in Brexit, does the electorate still want the country to exit the EU?”
    Does any politician have b…s enough to go down that road?

SimonS1
    Participant

The reality here is the govt does not have the electoral majority to get such things through. They are already dependent on DUP, but take off a few Tory MPs that have threatened to vote against and others that could well abstain. Not least because some of them have small majorities and self preservation comes into play all the time another election remains a possibility.

Of course it is all feeble and pathetic but I can’t see President Maybot taking the risk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls