Heathrow Airport’s short-lived railway station

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Some enjoyable weekend reading…

Heathrow Airport’s short-lived railway station

Gold-2K
    Participant

I was working on this project at the time and we had to evacuate our site office close to the tunnel collapse in the central terminal area. I was working with the team who were monitoring the ground movement and luckily the abnormal shifts were picked up in the early hours of the morning when the runways were closed. From memory the portacabins in the CTA most at risk of collapse from the ground movement were occupied by Health and Safety …… somewhat ironic!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fascinating. Thanks.
    Loved Gold’s comment re H&S!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I used this transfer service on numerous occasions while it lasted.

The fare from London Paddington to Heathrow Junction was just £5. And at that time it was £5 whether bought at the ticket office or onboard the train.

Travelling from Paddington to Heathrow Terminals 1/2/3 I believe was almost as fast as HEX is today. (Note the transit to T4 was longer as the coaches had to circumvent the airfield)

Why ?

For starters the rail journey time from Paddington was 10 mins or less.

When the train pulled into that Junction station (which was only a couple of hundred yards from the GWR mainline) a fleet of buses (each running to a separate terminal) were waiting. Passengers had only to walk a few yards across the platform.

The buses departed almost immediately and, *providing it was a clear run*, you alighted right in front of each terminal.

Today’s HEX takes about 15 mins from Paddington to Heathrow Central. But then time is wasted getting from the station into the terminals.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Through my letter box today:

The Proposed Expansion of Heathrow Airport – Heathrow’s public consultation 17th March to 28th March.

For those interested, its all available via, http://www.heathrowexpansion.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls