Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• UWSTony
    Participant

Binman-

I went many years ago to Honolulu for work. I thought I would hate Waikiki and actually loved it. I followed this trip with a trip to Maui and then a few years later followed my Honolulu work with a trip to the big island. All have wonderful beaches on the leeward or west sides and all have daily rain showers on their windward or east sides.

I love Volcanoes National Park and the observatories on Mauna Kea on the big island.

United has a non-stop form EWR with better biz seats than Hawaiian.

Good luck!

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Russell. – for your family Vancouver may still be a good option. Only 9.5 hours (polar route) from LHR compared to 7 to NYK and then 6 hours to Honolulu. US immigration for Hawaii is cleared upon departure from Vancouver. A number of different airline options then exist from Vancouver to Honolulu, including Westjet, Air Canada and Air NZ.. Cannot remember if Hawaiian do this route. Vancouver is also a far more pleasant airport than most of the US airports, especially NYK. Also Rosewood Georgia is a great hotel in Vancouver. Includes free Bentley for driving family to sites around metro Vancouver, though sadly this does not extend to airport. There is however, a good Fairmont at Vancouver Airport.

canucklad
    Participant

Binman….

Would 2nd RJ’s suggestion, but then I am biased….

A much freindlier route…especially if you are heading straight to HNL…and i will add that AC is in my humble opinion the best across the North Atlantic…..

Binman62
    Participant

Many thanks for the contiued ideas.

On the flight thing, oneworld and star both offering sub £1700 fares ex BRU at present. One world via DFW means flat beds all the way and a night stop going out. It does mean 2 night coming home but then LAX may be faster better route for that journey.

problem I have is that I cannot book till February 1st at earliest so look like I will miss out on the best deals.

Adey999
    Participant

Have been fortunate to get to the islands on a number of occasions:

We always travel through the west coast either LAX or SFO meaning a stopover in both directions but it is worth it to arrive refreshed and at a decent hour into HNL. Will only ever fly with HA as they are the only ones that seem to be able to give the island feeling the moment you step on the plane.

If it’s your first time a couple of days in Oahu is a must, hire a car dump your bags at the hotel and head into town or diamond head.

Try to get to as many of the other islands as possible. Kauai is absolutely stunning, yes it rains a bit but to see the huge gulches as you drive around the island is spectacular.

Maui is nice, my least favourite island, but again wonderful views and the Road to Hana is a must if you choose this island. You can also do an amazing star gazing tour up to the top of the volacnoe which is excellent.

The best island in my opinion and offering so much to do is the Big Island. Fly into Hilo spend a few days around there, journey to the national park and take in some of the local culture. Eating in Kens House of Pancakes in Hilo is always the first thing we do – heading straight for a Loco Moco and a beer.
    Then drive around the island to Kilo and some brilliant resorts. It’s big and bashful but full of places to chill – The Hilton Waikiola always does us well, and watching sunset from Buddah point will always bring a smile to my face forever.

If only we could get direct flights!

Squalorqueen
    Participant

Dear Binman 62

We are very lucky to have been able to visit Hawaii several times – and all the family’s favourite island is definitely MAUI. It has wonderful beaches, some stunning scenery (a helicopter trip is well worth doing), and a 10,000ft extinct volcano – Haleakala (we went up for sunrise on one occasion and regretted it: freezing cold and quite a dull sunrise…. don’t bother with the early start but do go up – it’s a long way but worth it!). There are excellent golf courses and a huge range of accommodation. We like the Wailea/Makena area best – quite upmarket and a nice selection of shops and restaurants, also in nearby Kihei.
    The downsides? Very few – the roads have become extremely busy over the years with increased development but it’s worth going to Lahaina and perhaps Kapalua(especially for the golf). I found the road to Hana, supposedly magnificent, both very boring and sick making (endless bends) and only did it once.

KAUAI is extremely scenic, but has more variable weather. Up at Princeville/Hanalei it is beautiful, with some excellent, if rough, high coastal walking. And The Prince golf course is stunning. I believe Poipu has much more reliable weather and good beaches. It is also more central for touring round the island.

BIG ISLAND had too much lava around for my liking, but if you are interested in volcanoes it is well worth going there. You can drive to the Volcano National Park, and again, a helicopter trip over the volcanic area is pretty special.

OAHU has Honolulu and Waikiki. We like it! but it is a large, busy, urban city.
    The walk up Diamond Head is well worth the effort, and there are other parts worth visiting – some nice snorkelling beaches including Hanauma Bay and the north coast.
    In fact snorkelling is one of the great attractions of Hawaii for all the family, and there are many recommended sites.
    It is an all year round great weather destination but a surprisingly long way from the US west coast. You need to be there a while to recover from the journey and the jetlag.

You can fly into several islands non-stop from the west coast – and also from Vancouver and Calgary.
    If you fly Business to California you may be surprised/disappointed by the very basic quality of the first class cabin for the last 6 or so hours…..

rferguson
    Participant

Is it possible to do ‘day trips’ to other islands from oahu?

Im planning on going in a few months. I notice that most islands are within around 30mins flight time from Honolulu and inter-island fares seem quite cheap.

I only have a week in Hawaii so just thinking of basing myself in Oahu and checking out one other island as a day trip – fly in early AM, grab a car from the airport, see the sights and fly back to honolulu the same night. Is Kauia or The Big Island more doable?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Day trips possible to most if not all Islands. Check out Hawaiian, Pacific Wings and Island Air amongst others, though if you are only in Hawaii for a week, you don’t want to spend all of it on planes. Also car hire costs will be substantially more expensive with one day rents.

RussellCruickshank
    Participant

Day trips are doable indeed but it’s the getting to and from the HNL airport that’s the pain if you’re staying in central Waikiki. You may wish to stay closer to downtown near Ala Moana to ease the travel time. There are flights to the major airports (Kaui – LIH, Maui – OGG, Kona – KOA, Hilo – ITO) on Hawaiian, and GO! Hawaii. But there are also flights to the smaller airports (Lanai – LNY, Maui – west airport at Kapalua JHM, Molokai – MKK, and Kamuela on the Big Island) using Pacific Wings, Mokulele Airlines and Island Air. Island Air uses Dash 8 or ATR so they’re a great option. All of those are from the commuter area of HNL airport which makes processing easier.

Good day. I have been to Hawaii many times over the years, so I am happy to offer a few suggestions. For many years we were fortunate here in Toronto to have non-stop service to HNL. It was a long journey, but an easy one. How I miss those days!

As for flights, I strongly recommend travelling through YVR, and flying Air Canada to HNL. If you travel in J Class you will have flat beds/pods, and even Economy Class is quite comfortable. The AVOD is really quite good, and service is generally very friendly and efficient. As mentioned earlier, YVR is a lovely airport. When it comes to airport hotels, you simply cannot do better than the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. It is an excellent hotel located inside the International end of the terminal. The lobby is literally only steps away from the US check-in hall (all airlines). I have flown from YYZ to the islands via YVR, YYC, ORD, IAH, LAX, and SFO, and without a doubt I find the Vancouver connection to be the best one. From the UK, I suppose ORD would be the best way to divide the travel time into equal segments, but if you are okay with flying to YVR first (whether on AC, or not), you will not regret it.

I can understand wanting to avoid Waikiki, but I happen to think that it is the best way to be introduced to the islands. Ideally, I recommend staying there for four nights (three full days), before moving onto one of the other islands (my favourite is Maui). Waikiki is busy, crowded, and sometimes a wee bit tacky, but there is still something special about it. Climbing Diamond Head is a must. Go early in the morning, and take a small flashlight and a big bottle of water. The view at the top is stunning. I think Pearl Harbour is worth visiting, but maybe it is not for everybody. I strongly recommend taking a tour of Shangri La – former home of the late billionairess Doris Duke. Buy tickets on-line in advance. The property is gorgeous, located in the upscale Kahala neighbourhood, and it is stunning and interesting to see whether you appreciate the overwhelming amount of Islamic art and décor, or not. Shangri La is accessible only as part of a tour that picks up in downtown Honolulu. Check out the official web site before ruling it out. If you choose to go, you won’t be disappointed.

As for hotels, I like the Embassy Suites Waikiki, primarily because it is so family-friendly. It is great to have a kitchen, even if you use it only for snacks and light meals, and it is nice to have a separate living room. The location is superb. Waikiki Beach Walk (from which the hotel`s two towers rise) is lovely. Another good option, and much more reasonably priced, is the Outrigger Luana. It is not beachfront, but you will not be in Waikiki for the beach anyway. What it does offer is a central location with totally unobstructed views (from the right room categories) of Fort DeRussy Park and the Pacific Ocean. You cannot go wrong with a one-bedroom ocean-view unit on a high floor. They are clean and comfortable, and you are nowhere near other highrise buildings, so the view is that much more special. Before you lies the lovely green of the park, and the ocean beyond. As well, your balcony is a great vantage point for the weekly fireworks at the nearby Hilton Hawaiian Village (Friday evenings, I think).

If money is no object, then it has to be the Halekulani (in my opinion).

Do visit Westin`s Moana Surfrider hotel. Just beautiful. They have maintained the colonial, old-Hawaii atmosphere extremely well. Take a break from strolling along Kalakaua Avenue by taking a seat in one of the white rocking chairs on the front verandah of the historic wing. Visit the mini-museum inside, just up the big staircase from the main lobby. It is fascinating to see old photos from a time when the Moana and the Royal Hawaiian (the “pink palace”) were the only two hotels in all of Waikiki. It is fun to view the old hand-written ledgers, too. I will make up an example of the entries that you will see: Mr. Marshall of New York who stayed for twelve days, including meals, for $24.00!

Dining. Try Sarento’s Top of the I (rooftop on the Ilikai hotel) for fine Italian cuisine with breathtaking views. Ask for a table next to the windows, facing Diamond Head. Dinner at Duke’s Canoe Club (inside the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach) is a must. It is lively and fun – great for a family meal, or something like a birthday celebration. Reserve a table for the time that they open for dinner (around 5:30, I believe), and get a table just steps away from the sand. The live music starts when the sun starts to set – it is wonderful. You will not be let down. Food is good, too!

For spa treatments, the Waikiki Plantation Spa at the top of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is an excellent option. I treated my mum to a Mother’s Day manicure and pedicure (we were not staying at that hotel), and she loved it. Clients can recover (Is that the proper word?) from their treatments with a cold drink on the outdoor rooftop deck with its panoramic view. Nice bit of pampering.

If you will be in Waikiki for a few days, try to set aside one for renting a car and exploring the island. There are some gorgeous (and relatively uncrowded) beaches around the island. Get a good tour book (I like Frommer’s), and enjoy. Stop at the North Shore to watch the surfers and the waves, and perhaps have a drink or a bite to eat at the Turtle Bay hotel. It is a large oceanfront property with lovely grounds. You will feel a million miles away from Waikiki.

A couple of words about Maui. I have always stayed in Wailea, so I really cannot comment on areas like Kaanapali or Kapalua. Wailea, while not cheap, is wonderful. The Four Seasons is very glamorous, but I prefer one of its neighbours: The Fairmont Kea Lani. Value is quite good, as each unit is actually a one-bedroom suite complete with wet bar and microwave. Ideal for families. The grounds and the beach are stunning. Service is top-notch.

Whatever itinerary you put together, I wish you and your family a great time. No doubt all of you will love the islands. Please let us know!

Best wishes.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never been to Hawaii so sorry I cannot offer and advice. Mrs. LP has but she’s still sleeping! Troppo Vino methinks 😉

I was wondering if they still put a garland round you when you arrive, or was that just for the TV shows? Anyone know?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Some airlines do, but I think most don’t. Certainly none on Westjet. The Four Seasons in Wailea gives them on arrival, as do many other hotels.

Sorry, LuganoPirate, but no leis upon landing, although my parents tell me that it was done after disembarking a Pan Am flight in 1970. At my Maui resort of choice, The Fairmont Kea Lani, guests receive an orchid lei at check-in, along with a tropical drink and a refreshing ice-cold face towel.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Binman – would second you on the road to Hana and inevitably you have to drive back the same way. The kids and Mrs B hated it, one was car sick and it was very crowded. That said, there are some lovely waterfalls,(though you can only see so many!!) and some great views and vegitation, though if money permits, then worth taking a helicopter tour which will give you a much better view of the whole Island. If you can get in, then go no further than Mamas restaurant on the coast just outside Paia at the start of the Road to Hana. Hugely popular, special sea food and great views of the surf.

judynagy
    Participant

We spent Christmas on Oahu in 2011, hadn’t been in 30 years. Surprisingly we enjoyed it all. Particularly the Turtle Whatever Resort up on the north shore, a REALLY wonderful place all around. Well worth a few nights with the family.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls