Fear of airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• Saxier1
    Participant

I know that feeling, and although I never quite conquered it, I have found simply “zoning out” works well for me. I always allow ample time for the inevitable something to go wrong, pandering to egos of a variety of airline and airport staff, and dumb down a little. I find if I go into zombie mode (let’s face it, that’s how we as passengers are seen anyway), and simply allow myself to be pushed around like a helpless sheep, it seems to pacify the bullies that run airports these days, sate their egos, and I end up in the plane and on my way. Dunno if this works for everyone, but it has made life more tolerable for me. Just try switching your brain off for an hour or so and see how it all goes..Cheers.

Thanks for your reply Saxier1

I have been thinking about this. Once I leave the front door I just get on with it, but if I start thinking too much beforehand about a trip..
    well that’s too much. It’s all rather strange as I used to love flying, hopping on the Gatwick Express during term time!! and visiting a new destination.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Dear Alexpo1 I am very sad to hear you missed out a trip with your family. I often get nervous in the days before a flight and these often culminate in bad dreams, I do however often have bizarre dreams so they do not alarm me too much. It is the sudden feeling in the pit of my stomach and out of control feelings that come on when I remember the flight is looming.
    I do find that I only get a twinge of that once at the airport but this is due to a glass of something.
    I have been like this for years although I am much better now, I no longer pace about taking copious amounts of Rescue remedy at the airport and I was always fine once I had boarded.
    Maybe you could try rescue remedy when you are feeling anxious in the days preceding the flight, there are also other flower remedies for specific problems. Where do you live ? uK ? Sorry if you have previously said, my memory is going a little. If you do a good Boots usually stock the whole range and I am sure they would be available online.
    Here’s wishing you happy relaxed flying 🙂

Hello HongKongLady

Your first paragraph is spot on. I am fine once on the plane – well you don’t really have a choice unless you ask the Captain politely to divert to Iceland.

I don’t know this Rescue remedy but next time at Heathrow I will have a look in Boots.

I think I overdid it a couple of years ago flying every other week…it’s amazing how these fears silently take a grip.

Best wishes and safe travels to you too 😉

HongKongLady
    Participant

🙂

judynagy
    Participant

How horrible for you, alexpo. And I thought my husband was a bad flyer! Since you have a trip coming right up, may I suggest visualization which is something you can do right now, on your own with no hassle. Sit down, relax from your toes up, I think it’s called relaxation response, I’ve been doing it so long I can’t remember, just google it and get the instructions. After you’ve relaxed your whole self, visualize yourself calmly and confidently doing all the activities from arriving to boarding. The more detailed the visualization (what you’re wearing, the weather, whatever) the more effective the visualization will be. You’ll be amazed at the results – your subconscious is causing this, and it can fix it. Just BELIEVE!

judynagy
    Participant

How horrible for you, alexpo. And I thought my husband was a bad flyer! Since you have a trip coming right up, may I suggest visualization which is something you can do right now, on your own with no hassle. Sit down, relax from your toes up, I think it’s called relaxation response, I’ve been doing it so long I can’t remember, just google it and get the instructions. After you’ve relaxed your whole self, visualize yourself calmly and confidently doing all the activities from arriving to boarding. The more detailed the visualization (what you’re wearing, the weather, what the checkin lady looks like, what kind of food you’ll grab for a snack, whatever) the more effective the visualization will be. You’ll be amazed at the results – your subconscious is causing this nasty problem, and it can fix it. Just BELIEVE!

Just wondering how you got on today, alexpo1. I believe you were scheduled to fly today.

I sent a request to have my e-mail address forwarded to you, but am not sure if that happened.

Of course, if you prefer to not discuss your experience today, then I fully understand and respect that.

Kind regards,

CT

Hello CT

I too sent a request to BT on Wednesday morning…and I haven’t received your e-mail either!!!

I’m at home!!!!

I will phone BT in the morning…perhaps that will do the trick.

Best regards

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have several friends who have severe anxiety flying, and also travelling on the tube.

The flying phobia was helped with a trip to the BA Flying with Confidence school:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flying-with-confidence/public/en_gb

2 out of 3 with the tube issue are still unable to go underground, but one was helped enormously by the visualisation technique mentioned above, and also by disassociating the trigger (in your case airports) form the sensation of fear, and learning to manage the way in which they handle the side effects of fear better.

Thanks for the link VK, and to all who have posted above.

It’s the pre-departure that freaks me out, and also on arrival when immigration is slow.

When living in London, I also had tube issues.

Anyway, I simply must take to the skies ASAP as my left ear is partially blocked and I am hoping a flight will be the perfect remedy!!

Papillion53
    Participant

Morning Alexpo1 – oh my please don’t take a flight to unblock your ear! If the usual actions have failed to unblock your ear e.g. Holding your nose and “snorting”, or standing on your head, rubbing your belly clockwise (only kidding on the last one!!LOL!) , I would recommend Hopi ear candles – with a treatment carried out by a professional complementary therapist or a reflexology treatment when the therapist may be able to unblock your ear using reflex points.

I caught a nasty bug in the Outback in Oz and thought it was just a bit of a cold. It landed up as I then flew 4 times, my ear was totally blocked and I thought the same as you, if all else fails, the pressure on flying will clear it! No! I then had a horrendous night, pacing the floor with earache and subsequent perforated eardrum! This resulted in a visit to the local GP, who was absolutely brilliant and I then had to take antibiotics for a month! I tried everything to unblock my ear prior to the perforation and I was dreading flying home to the UK. Thankfully, one day it just popped and I only noticed when I realised I hadn’t had to turn round to listen to the DH – I was totally deaf in the blocked ear! Mind you, that did have its advantages on occasion!

I am a great believer in holistic therapies and visualisation techniques are great. 🙂

Hello Papillion

I have never tried standing on my head, but have a feeling it would go horribly wrong LOL

Papillion53
    Participant

Alexpo1 – LOL!! No balance due to blocked ear!

sultanmahmudit
    Participant

just google it and get the instructions. After you’ve relaxed your whole self, visualize yourself calmly and confidently doing all the activities from arriving to boarding. The more detailed the visualization
    Visi link: http://footballworld2013.blogspot.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls