BA Leisure Fleet 777 irritation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Inga
    Participant

I’ve just flown Club World on a BA777 out to the Caribbean and back. In my previous work I was a BA gold card member, flying regularly transatlantic on the 777 but over the last few years I’ve travelled mainly with Virgin and Emirates. I’ve always considered BA a superior business product to Virgin, but certainly this isn’t the case now. This is the first time in about 10 years I’ve flown BA Club World.

I’m not going to comment on lounge/food etc as all my irritation lay with the dividing window between my aisle seat and the inside seat (window seat on the return). I settled in nicely for the flight; choosing a movie and having my dinner. However, every 10 minutes or so the cabin crew member would lean over me, put down the divider and serve/talk to the person on the inside. During this time she blocked the tv screen and prevented me from eating by leaning over the tray. Sometimes she would have a jolly chat with the passenger for several minutes. And sometimes she would put the divider up afterwards, but other times would leave it down. Now I know this is ‘first world problems’, but by then end of a 10 hour day flight this was driving me nuts!

I don’t remember this being the case in the past…does anyone have any tips (other than choosing inside seats…which I’d avoided so I wouldn’t need to clamber over peoples legs). To be honest, I’m not sure I’d travel Club World on a BA777 again. This was booked for me by work…next time I’ll push for Virgin again. I MUCH prefer the herringbone layout.

andrew.gill
    Participant

Hi

Great topic, and it drives me nuts too

I thought getting the last window seat in the cabin would help, because I have aisle access but that didn’t happen until I specifically asked the flight attendant to walk around and stop dropping the divider / leaning across the other passenger.

It’s such a small thing, it doesn’t cost anything, so why isn’t this normal service?

andrew

capetonianm
    Participant

There’s a fundamental design fault in that CW set-up, but that’s a known and a given. The cabin crew should have more common sense and manners than to act in that way, and should only converse with the window passenger when necessary.

Recently I was on a flight where the CSD was a personal friend, I had a window seat and as I boarded she made a point of telling me discreetly that she would invite me to the galley for a chat later but that she would not talk to me whilst I was seated as it was bad manners and disrespectful to the aisle passenger. Actually when I mentioned it to him, he laughed and said : “Bloody hell, I wouldn’t complain if she leaned over me!”

FrDougal
    Participant

So let me get this right? You would happily allow the cabin crew person to awkwardly contort their backs and clumsily step over the footstool trays in hand so they could gingerly place your food down in front of you?

Madness! What’s happened to people?

Remove your earphones, pause your tv show and basically, find your manners!

It was very reasonably explained to me by a BA pilot pal that the crew are instructed by the company to pass everything through the screen for H&S purposes as it’s can be very an stressful on hostesses backs and I can certainly see why. I’m 6’2, Iv enough trouble getting into a window seat in Club let alone trying to pass stuff through whilst looking professional!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Passing hot food and drinks over a passenger (and their try table) is NOT the answer either.

For a long time I took an aisle seat, but eventually got fed up with the “lean overs” and occasional spillages.. Now I only take window seats.

It is not a case of “good manners”, it is a case of a company being able to deliver a service in a professional manner, without impacting other passengers.. Cabin crew already need to be a certain height, so perhaps tall cabin crew are not able to fulfil their duties with ying yang.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I hate the climb over the adjoining passenger, but now always take a window and just apologise in advance if I disturb the passenger climbing over later in the flight. As with other the leaning over is ridiculous, I don’t blame the crew It’s the poor design and cramming in extra seats.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Bottom line: Always choose a windows seat on BA CW…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The BA service standard is to pass food and beverages through the divider.

If you do not like this, then the answer is not to book Club World.

I don’t.

Flightlevel
    Participant

That may be the procedure ‘though on my last CW flight only the tray was passed across that way and all small items like second course or bread basket were passed around the seat back.
    A good compromise for health and safety and politeness,not beyond the skill of most cabin crew.
    Usually pax eat at the same time and crew can walk between seats.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=836284]That may be the procedure ‘though on my last CW flight only the tray was passed across that way and all small items like second course or bread basket were passed around the seat back. A good compromise for health and safety and politeness,not beyond the skill of most cabin crew. Usually pax eat at the same time and crew can walk between seats.
    [/quote]

And in breach of how they are trained and expected to do the job.

As G&T wrote, it’s not the crew’s fault that the design results in this delivery method.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Rules (and regulations) being for the guidance of wise men and women and for the obedience of fools.
    Common sense applies especially to those for elf and safety, political correctness and (if only) social work?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=836332]Rules (and regulations) being for the guidance of wise men and women and for the obedience of fools. Common sense applies especially to those for elf and safety, political correctness and (if only) social work?
    [/quote]

If a cabin crew member develops a back back or some other related ailment and is then left uninsured for failing to follow instructions and loses income, do you find that acceptable?

If they have to go long term sick and lose their job, is that ok?

Not for me, your values may differ,

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

You mention that you would not fly the 777 again… this is the same set up across the entire fleet and has always been the case. would probably suggest shifting your business to another carrier like many have done. I would not accept an aisle seat now in this cabin, and would struggle to accept paying anymore than a good I class offer for anything other than the last row window where you do not have to climb over anyone.

maxgeorge
    Participant

As usual, the irascible Mr FDOS has it right.

Club World is an anachronism.

Choose an updated alternative.

AA TransAtlantic is far better nowadays. I’ve also been flying Air New Zealand , which offers not only a very competitive Business Class set up, but spices things with a quirky sense of humour.

No awkward eyeball contact with an oddball on the other side of the divider, either.

Meself, I must admit, being the oddball.

SimonS1
    Participant

20 years ago CW was a market leading product. Sadly in 2017 the lack of direct aisle access and the way that window seats have to be served is tired and out of date.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls