BA Cabin Crew’s Pay

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

NewBAexec
    Participant

On the newspaper today, existing BA Cabin crew earn a minimum of £29,900 per year (Pursers and CSDs are on much higher basic!!) and on top of that they have now been offered a pay rise as part of the deal to end this dispute.
    They are still not happy. Their rival colleagues from Virgin Atlantic only earn £13,300 per year.
    The new cabin crew at BA now earn between £10,000 to £15,000 per year which is part of BA’s cost saving measures to recruit new cabin crew on cheaper contracts.
    Are the existing cabin crew ever going to settle down this dispute or is it pure greediness?!
    Is it BASSA running BA or is it a board of managers?!
    These people should be happy and count themselves lucky for having a job like this and getting paid so much money for what they do compared to other airlines.

ross_cc
    Participant

Have you never been told not to believe everything you read in the newspaper NewBAexec?

I’m LHR based BA cabin crew and would love to earn anywhere near £30 grand a year, I have a basic of just under £12 grand and on top of that earn meal allowances (the vast majority of which I spend downroute) I don’t earn allowances when I am sick or on leave, so I earn closer to £21 grand a year as oppose to the £30.

For that I need a car due to the anti social hours I work and I live near Central London (high rent!)

Yes we have been offered a pay rise, but this follows a 2 year pay freeze. Virgin Atlantics basic is £13 K but they earn variable allowances and sector pay on top of this, so please learn the facts before posting.

Its not greediness, what we now have is an agreement which offers us protections over our earnings.and an end to this bitter dispute.

It sounds like sour grapes on your side, we should be lucky we have a job, oh please get off your high horse and learn the true facts before you post such venum!

VintageKrug
    Participant

venom not venum.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I did some desk research on comparative pay between UK airlines here:

http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/446356-ba-strike-your-thoughts-questions-v-34.html#post6406786

Crew pay is difficult to calculate as beyond the basic salary:

– income is largely dictated by the “variable” component linked to actual hours “on the job” and that in itself is influenced by things like bidding systems and other factors (e.g. personal preference for certain routes)
    – especially at BA, the actual route you get allocated to can vary your “box payments” significantly
    – things like delays and working out of hours can also trigger extra payments
    – parts of the variable component is tax free
    – there are other sources of income such as commission payments on Duty Free
    – some cabin crew work part time
    – there are marked differences between those on “legacy” contracts and those new to the airline game (e.g. Mixed Fleet)

The £29,900 figure is referenced in the link above and one I recognise, but ONLY AS AN AVERAGE. It is certainly NOT a minimum.

New (BA Mixed Fleet) cabin crew will earn between £17,000-£20,000 over the course of the year, and that includes Performance Related bonuses which have yet to be paid (which is why many feel they are currently not paid as much as was originally expected).

This is, as far as I can see, more than Ryanair, Virgin and Easyjet and also adds the certainty of employment which the summer charter market cannot provide and all against a background of other airlines either not hiring at all, or laying people off.

There is also a pay review currently for Mixed Fleet, which will ensure they are benchmarked to market rate (for new hires NOT existing legacy crews) + 10%.

I don’t begrudge lower paid people any sort of pay rise right now; high inflation is a symptom of the necessary re-adjustment in the economy caused by foolishness in the past, and when you’re taking home around £1000 net even an extra £50 can make a real difference.

Those who remain at BA, working full time, on £50,000+ in a cabin crew/CSD role have been there over 15 years, maybe longer. The are on contracts which belong in a bygone era, but have been honoured by BA nonetheless.

It’s certainly better not to implicitly trust what is written in newspapers.

It’s also probably a time to calm down on the sensitive topic of remuneration as the cabin crew ballot on whether to accept the offer recommended to them by Unite and now BASSA as well.

If both sides believe they have won, then that’s a genuinely terrific outcome for all concerned.

Alasdair
    Participant

So you ARE comparing BA crew with Easyjet and Ryanair then VK?

Suppose you would be happy with all the trimmings (or should I say lack of) these airlines offer then also? You want premium, then you pay premium wages. That is the way it works in this country in most industries.

Virgin cabin crew by the way earn allowances abroad, are taxed differently and were taken on and accepted the contract offered to them by their company.

End of.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls